News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dex Cool

Started by James Landi, June 05, 2017, 10:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

I have purchased a very low mileage 2007 XLR, and I see that it may have GM Dex Coolant.  What should I look for to determine if it is the original coolant.  The GM claim is that its good for 150,000 miles...  I have heard that it is associated with major corrosion issues... Looking for advice.   James

tripwire

DexCool is orange in color where Ethylene Glycol is green.  Theres' a lot of disagreement about whether this stuff is good or bad.  Some folks claim it damages engines others say it's fine.  I don't know enough to say one way or the other.  Don't switch to Ethylene Glycol without doing a thorough flush to make sure you get all the DexCool out.
Two things: Don't mix the two types, you'll have a gooey mess.  Change it more often than the book says.  Every 2 or 3 years is better than five years or 150K the factory says. 

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

TJ Hopland

Are you thinking of not changing it?   

5 years always seems to have been the spec for time.   The miles seems to have varied between 100,000 and 150,000.   

I have several rigs running Dex all in the range of about 20 years old now,  lowest mileage currently in the lower 200's highest is over 350 now and still running fine.  Like most things it seems if you follow the maintenance instructions it works fine.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

59-in-pieces

James,
Stay with Orange.
I too have an XLR, the most fun you can have in a Cadillac - with or without your close on.
Have fun - I do.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

dochawk

If you put green coolant in a GM car that wants Dexcool, you're asking for trouble.

I think it's the silicate in the old-style coolant that gets you--cars asking for Dexcool have seals (?) that are damaged by silicate.

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

EAM 17806

My 1996 Buick Skylark 3.1 Ltr engine was damaged by this DexCool anti freeze.  After about $1000.00 cost of taking down the engine and putting all new gaskets in it the mechanic put in Prestone green anti-freeze and it's in good shape today.  I would never put DexCool in any car today; it's not trustworthy!   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Bobby B

Quote from: EAM 17806 on June 10, 2017, 09:54:39 PM
My 1996 Buick Skylark 3.1 Ltr engine was damaged by this DexCool anti freeze.  After about $1000.00 cost of taking down the engine and putting all new gaskets in it the mechanic put in Prestone green anti-freeze and it's in good shape today.  I would never put DexCool in any car today; it's not trustworthy!   EAM

DexCool caused premature intake gasket failure in my work truck. Not fun burning coolant out the exhaust. Did a flush, new hoses, water pump, and a radiator. Now running the "Green Stuff" 150K later......Stuff is Junk  >:D
                                                                                                      Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Glen

If your owner’s manual says to put DexCool in the radiator you better do it.  If it does not specify DexCool don’t do it, keep the green stuff.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104