News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Interior Rear View Mirror Disassembly

Started by Highwayman68, June 06, 2017, 03:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwayman68

I want to disassemble the interior rear view mirror on my 1968 to change out the glare lever without destroying the mirror or the housing. I have looked in the Shop and Service manuals but I wasn't able to find this. Any suggestions from those who have done this before is very much appreciated.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Highwayman68

Figuring that I am on my own with this I decided today to practice on the donor unit. The reason I need to do this is the lever for the dimming is broken off on mine and I am hoping to end up with one unit that works. The mirror on the donor unit is shot, the backing is mostly gone.

Found out that the rubber molding around the mirror is glued to the tin housing. I was able to separate the rubber molding from the tin housing using a small screw driver and the back side of a drywall knife, I was going to use a puddy knife but the drywall knife provided the leverage I needed to push forward while separating the pieces.

I will separate my mirror unit then take the mirror from my unit and glue it onto the housing of the donor unit.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on tackling the task and getting it apart.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

DeVille68

Nice, thanks for providing pictures. This kind of information will always be valuable!
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Highwayman68

A follow up I never posted, I was able to remove the plastic lever from the donor unit once I had the donor unit apart then using a small screwdriver to seperate the holding brace in my original mirror I was able to slid the donor lever into my original mirror and I now have a fully functional mirror without taking my mirror apart.