News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

73 eldorado,,, new very loud noise

Started by kkkaiser, June 08, 2017, 06:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkkaiser

thanks a lot, clears it up,,,,,i checked my compressor and the clutch shows the hole were the screw goes in,, again, thanks

bcroe

Make or buy the tools, fit decades of different cars.  If the belt doesn't slip with the
compressor unplugged, you can drive that way as much as you want.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

I forgot to mention that the nut holding the clutch on has to be removed, and a thin socket is required to be able to get in there to undo it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I'm not sure on your year car, but if ac was an option you can just get a different belt and run the car without it. This way the car won't be down and all it will cost you to get it driveable (for now) is the cost of a belt.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, on my '72, I am running the Power Steering Pump via a single belt, plus another one to run the Power Steering and the Air Conditioning.

I have a single V belt AC compressor, and dual V's on the Crankshaft and Power Steering.

This way I completely clear the HEI Distributor.

I still use the Power Steering Pump as the belt tensioner for both belts.

In the picture it is possible to see both belts

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

I was also thinking the quick fix for now would be a shorter belt just skipping the AC compressor till it can be dealt with.    Parts books in 73 I think still had a listing for a PS belt w/o AC.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

I have the same arrangement on my 70 as Bruce's (without the HEI).  My compressor is getting noisy internally, so the plus side to this arrangement (although not correct) is that with a 9/16" wrench and about 2 minutes on the side of the road, I can be back driving with power steering when the compressor does fail. I know that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

kkkaiser

ok,, i got into partially removing the compressor.  got the nut off the clutch,  no problem,  now getting the clutch off has been a head scratcher,

attached is photo, looking inside the compressor,,,,, the clutch is the large surface, then the screw that the bolt came off of.  then in the back there is a ring with what looks like some sort of pin, 

i didnt see that on Tassies, photos of his tool to remove th clutch, so guessing this will require something different...

is that some sort of push pin i have to shove in?  or do i have to get a set of those snap ring pliers to remove the washer looking thing that appears to be held by the pin,   

I'm going to ge the non ac belt,, for the time being,, re install the compressor,,after i get a suggestion on this clutch removal...ii saw on one of th parts sites and rock auto,that bearings are available,, another had the clutch, with an without the coil.  I have to get this up and running before the 22nd as I have a tour,, just have to be with out air, unless i can get into this compressor to replace the bearing,,,

thanks for the non ac belt idea,,,,,that will at least hold me,,,just hope on the 22nd its not a scorcher

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

That is the compressor shaft.  The clutch hub is keyed and bolted to it, so that when the clutch is engaged the shaft turns.  There is a clutcvh removal and installation tool that is currenty available and relative in expensive.  It utilized the interna;l threads in the clutch to grab it for removal and uses the compressor shaft threads for re installation.  Don't try this job without that tool.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

The "pin" is the key that stops the clutch hub from spinning on the compressor shaft, and the hub is on a taper.

My tool is what you need to simply free the clutch hub, and then it simply falls off.   A bit like a tie rod end or Ball joint, but these don't have a key to stop then turning, as they don't need to turn.   Well, not much.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

kkkaiser

well,, the surgery is almost complete on the compressor,
i rented a pulley pull tool and a clutch removal tool (had assorted sizes of screw plugs at oreilly)   that thing was really gooped on there but it finally broke free and got the clutch off,
then, got the pulley puller, and again, it had to be cranked off all the way to the end it was so gummed up.  it looks like the bearings were bad, there was a little metal rim piece that fit down on tope of the old bearing
the old bearing it came out separately as it was exposed,  the old bearing had to be pounded out,  had to stick a 2 inch ball hitch in side the back of the clutch and pound it,, the round head pushed it evenly.

the new bearing also had to be somewhat pounded in, very snug, , but it went in, evenly with the ball hitch.  everything was spinning smoothly now   i slid it back on the compressor, over the coil and it went on
quite smoothly, had to rubber hammer the last quarter or so the snap ring would go over , before it got too dark, i tried to reset the clutch plate back on but it wasnt wanting to go back on, not sure why, but,
will go at it in the a.m.   hopefully it will slide back on ad i can hook the belts back up and get up and going. 

will follow up tomorrow,

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, you fellas are lucky in that you can rent these special tools.   Makes life easier.

The only thing that should stop the clutch going back on will probably be the key.   It may have become dislodged in its' groove

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

kkkaiser

boy you just couldnt let me enjoy my success!!!!!! :'( :'(   i thought i was almost home free

what key are you referring,, that little pin in the side of the screw shaft,, if so, its still in there,   of course,, i will be writing again if anything pops up,, so stay tuned.

kkkaiser

well you are right,  i think,, that pin seems to have moved forward,  should i have to pound that back in to where its flush with the edge of the clutch,

also, the install screws that attach to the shaft that pull it back on do not fit,, too tight,,,i guess i have to go to amazon, that kit i rented has a bout 3 different screw fittings to attach but largest is a hair too small,,

kkkaiser

well, i got it on, had to be a bit more persistent with the install screw,, i finally figured it out.  really took a lot of turning to get that hub back on there,,, I'm not sure of the spacing from the hub to the clutch, but either way, i got it on, if i have to adjust, i can,,,anyway, hooked it up, got the compressor screwed back down, belts re attached and voila!! it ran, no screeching, i engaged the clutch, seemed to do just fine,, gonna take on a couple short trips around town, just to make sure,,, dont want to get too far away,, case something goes haywire,   when you aren't sure of wheat you are doing,, one gets a little spooked about going too far,,, either way, it is running and seems quite smoothly,   

thanks for all the help from everyone,, i know a bit more than I did a few days ago,, so, it wasnt a total loss,, just time..

The Tassie Devil(le)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe