News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Oil Flush/First oil change

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, June 09, 2017, 07:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Greetings.
"Flush" is not the correct word..... maybe rinse?
If all goes well, after tomorrow, I can add a 55 to our list under my name on the forum.
The oil in there is old-let's just say it was poured in from a round can with a spout that leaked (remember those?)
It does run but we are bypassing the tank with a soda bottle (from something with caffeine of course as these used to run on leaded gas) and the carb leaks badly.
I dont want to flush because lord knows what will break loose but need to get the old oil out of there. My plan is to drain the old and run it with new for literally less than 5 minutes, drain again and then put it in the garage to work on it.
The question is, change it with what??
First instinct would be to use the cheapest stuff I can find. However I want it put away with good oil. However the oil I use is thicker and I would think thinner oil would be best for what I am wanting to do.

What do you use for a first oil change "rinse"?
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

I would just use what ever you are planning on using in it long term. 

Since you are not yet driving it I would think you would be alright with just one change.   Once you get it actually driving then give it another change.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

chrisntam

Good oil would only be a buck or two more than cheap oil, just use the good stuff.  ZDDP along with it due to the hydraulic lifters.

Should we buy stock in Rock Auto?  I think they will be your best friend!

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1955,series+62,5.4l+331cid+v8,1320770

And Jeff, we've been patient....pictures please....and keep the updates coming!

And the journey begins again!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

We pick it up tomorrow.
It had an old out of state title. I have a friend who works for the DMV (Missouri) and she told me we should get the highway Patrol do a VIN verification so we don't have any problems getting it titled.
Have a truck all lined up for tomorroa. Just waiting........... and waiting....
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

harvey b

Another thing you can add to the oil is some Marvel Mystery Oil,it helps to loosen up some of that old crud,is cheap to buy too.If you are doing an oil change i would add the whole bottle and run the motor for maybe a half hour or so and drain out the oil as soon as you shut it off,it will flow better when it is hot.It is good stuff for the gas too,i run it in all my lawnmowers and they all seem to run good,I have used it for the same purpose of cleaning out an old dirty motor,never had any problems yet. Good Luck  Harvey
Harvey Bowness

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Oh yes. I am a believer in Marvels.
Posted some pictures on the General Discussion forum.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

cadman56

Jeff,
You may find the rocker arm shafts are all gunked up too.  I sure would pull the rocker covers and check to make sure all valves and rockers are being oiled properly.  This is a common problem with these engines.
Best of luck to you.
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820