News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Eldorado paint

Started by vegas49er, June 09, 2017, 07:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vegas49er

Hi, I have a 57 Eldorado with code 98 paint. Copper metallic. I am not finding anyone with the paint mix for that color in Las Vegas area. I do have the Ditzler PPG and Dupont numbers but the are dis-continued and/or can't be crossed. I am having a paint match done now from some interior pieces but hard to match as it was lacquer. Anyone that may have a mix code with a brand name would be appreciated.
You could also e-mail me at fjoh432email addresses not permitted. Thanks. F. J.

Seville1957

I feel your pain, I'm still searching for an Olympic White code 90 paint for my 57 Seville. There have been several sites I've run across but haven't executed yet. Below is one of the sites that claims to have our paints and even in lacquer but it's not cheap!

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1957-Cadillac-pg01.jpg

vegas49er

I've heard of them. I am having a shop try to paint match so will see them on Monday and hope for the best. Thanks.

collector

There is a company that has PPG Acrylic lacquer, (which as you know that is what your car was originally painted with). They have the old books and can formulate the colors for you. Its Scottsdale Paints in AZ.
Auto Color Library doesn't use PPG any longer and they try and get you to use their own paint. They try and match the colors to chips but it is never the same. They actually don't have formulas for their own lacquers. I stopped using them once they stopped using PPG. I needed the exact formula not a close proximity. 

P. Manoogian

Try a brand called BASF Limco. That is the only brand I could find that had a formula for my 61 Code 99 Shell Pearl Biarritz.
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

vegas49er

Thanks for the information all. I will research it. F.J.

fishnjim

If you have the code or formula, then get in contact with someone that has an PPG refinish account* and they should be able to get on the computer system and cross/match.   They don't let just anybody on that system.   I tried.    * - or a salesman that goes around to the parts stores.
Axalta is the former DuPont now.   You can try them also.
TCP global used to let you on, but they got selfish.
Some of the components may not be available and what you're finding, but they should be able to tell one way or the other and what matches.   So spotting maybe out of the question - ie, repaint necessary.   You can always shoot it in acrylic enamel and it'll look period/one part.   If you're going over, (not recommended) need to seal first.   In 20 years, you won't find most of the what's available today, so why worry? 
When it comes to resto paint, I don't think you need to obsess over and have the exact original paint, just the original color, gloss, and appearence.   There aren't that many left out there that will know the difference and it's no longer original, if repainted anyway.

ps: I would think '57 Olympic white is not that difficult to match.   Alpine is the same as most bright whites today.   Olympic has a tint.   http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Olympic%20White&con=1&year=1957&rows=50   

Seville1957

I found a supplier of Olympic white paint for the 57, but was quoted over $500/gallon for lacquer! OUCHHHH