News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Voltage Regulator

Started by 65riviera, June 10, 2017, 11:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

65riviera

After the generator light on my 1960 series 62, I pulled the generator and got it tested at a good shop where they confirmed it was in good working order. So my next step was purchasing a new voltage regulator. I got the correct volts for a car with air conditioning and installed it today. I fired the car up and the generator light was still on! I revved the engine and the light faded away... but at idle the light glared red.  For fear of being stuck I didnt take the car out of the garage.

Besides the first concern of the generator light glowing at me, the voltage regulator was making a clicking (to be honest more like knocking) noise at the same rate of the motor running. Am I correct assuming the "new, in good working order" Delco Remy 1960-dated voltage regulator that I purchased is bad?

Yes the battery was fully charged and yes I polarized the generator via jump wire from armature to battery.

65riviera

Update:

Against my better judgement I warmed it up and drove it around the neighborhood, just getting the car up to speed. The generator light flickered throughout the drive - especially bright when coasting or stopped and idling. But towards the end of the drive and as I pulled into the garage again the light stayed off (even at idle) and the ticking from the voltage regulator had absolutely gone away. I may update after another drive or two...

So here's to answering my own question! Seems that a new voltage regulator just needed to warm up and get broken in. Hope the next guy gets an answer this quickly.

bcroe

Keep a watch for marginal wiring.  Bruce Roe

Steve Passmore

May had a coating of some type on the points which just need to dissolve?.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

67_Eldo

I just installed a new voltage regulator (and alternator) on a 67 Eldorado. You have a generator, so the instructions that came with my regulator may not apply, but I'll share them anyway. Their procedure worked for me.
---
"Turn ignition key on and start the car engine. Turn on the headlights and accessories for 1 - 2 minutes, then turn them off. Press down on the accelerator pedal, the red light indicator should stay off. If your car is equipped with an ammeter, it should show a deflection to the right of the 0 center position. The amount of deflection depends on the amount of charge your battery has. Less deflection for a better charged battery."

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Do you have a points type regulator? Those are temperature sensitive. If I remember correctly they charge more heavily when warm which is some of the reason batteries boiled out electrolyte in the summer (that could be backwards tho).

Also, doesn't the idiot light glow in an overcharge situation as well? If so it could be overcharging at hi rpm and normal at idle-that could be why no light when you pull into the garage. Temp would not be a factor there but it will idle lower when warm (choke open so it will idle slower).

May I suggest you check the voltage at the battery when the idiot light is glowing. That should tell you what you want to know.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille