News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Engine rebuild phenomenon 1956 Cadillac - heard of before?

Started by carguyblack, June 11, 2017, 07:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

The engine shop who is doing the machining of our engine from a 1956 Cadillac told me that when they baked the block, the cylinders sloughed a cylinder shaped sleeve out of each cylinder that they said was a hardened build up of oil and other solids over the 60 years of operation. Apparently, it was novel enough for them to mention it to me. Anyone else ever heard of this occurring?
I'm not worried about it as it more of a curiosity and it looks like it will need to be bored .10 - .20 over when machined.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Chuck,

I’m not familiar with the term “baking” but the temperature would less the ignition flame front. Therefore any residue should have burned off during normal operation. At most, any residue would be a thin film that flakes off like paint….But I’ve not seen that before.  Without seeing the cylinders that sloughed off it’s difficult to be definitive. If the shop still has them check  to see whether they are metallic. If so, the engine has been bored and sleeved in the past. If the cylinders are not available, measure the existing cylinder block bores. If they are more than .010” larger than factory nominal I’d again be suspect that the engine had a major rebuild.  This would not necessarily be a fatal flaw for the block if prior work was done correctly.  That block has enough meat that it could be resleeved again. Be certain that your shop has done this before and is comfortable doing it on your block.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

35-709

I agree with Ralph Messina, especially --- "If the shop still has them check to see whether they are metallic. If so, the engine has been bored and sleeved in the past."

I have never heard of such a thing (sloughing off a cylinder shaped sleeve built up of oil and other solids) and it kind of makes me wonder about that engine overhaul shop.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

carguyblack

Just to reassure everyone, the sleeve of whatever it was dissipated upon touch after coming out of the oven, but it was weird enough for them to mention out of interest, not concern. It certainly wasn't a remnant of an earlier rebuild with a metal sleeve insert as this was the first the engine had ever been opened up.
I didn't mean to convey a concern I had for the well being of the block. It is rock solid with normal for the age wear in the cylinders as is evident by the slight lip at the top of each cylinder now.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

TJ Hopland

Could it have been some sort of build up in the bore below the piston?   And in a 56 the piston doesn't drop all the way down in the bore?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason