News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

425 engine ac belt elimination 1979 Coupe

Started by NickD, June 15, 2017, 08:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickD

Hi Group
I have a 1979 Coupe DeVille with a 425 cubic inch engine. I am removing the AC compressor, as I want to remove as much clutter as I can in the engine compartment. I do not care about AC. I noticed that this belt also runs the power steering pump. Is there a belt that just controls the power steering pump? I am unable to find a belt for a non-ac equipped Cadillac. My car does not have an air pump. Thanks any help will be appreciated.
NickD
CLC#29243

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would have thought that the 425 is virtually the same as the 500, and my Eldo runs a single belt to the Power Steering Pump.

In the picture you will notice that the rear belt is to the PS Pump, and the front belt goes to the AC Compressor, and PS Pump.

The way the routing of the belts are designed set up, one can run without the Compressor.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Not the same as 425.

Removal of this important standard Cadillac accessory for the sake of "access" which should seldom be needed and leaving the system unsealed for an extended period is very shortsighted and foolish, in my view.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Nick,
Here is a shot of using a (I believe) 48 inch belt between the crank pulley and the PS pump.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Answer:  You could take the old belt cut it, wrap it around the pulleys, mark it, and measure length with it straightened out.  Then request this size belt at any common auto parts store. 

Comment:  I'm with Eric though, unless you are racing it like Greg does, leave it on with all hoses.  A 70's Cadillac closed car with no a/c is of much lower value than with a/c.  Understand it is your car, however it is nice to keep your options open if you want to sell it later.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

NickD