News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 Eldo CV Boots??

Started by manxie, June 17, 2017, 02:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxie

Hi fellas. I`m having a little trouble and wondering if anyone here could advise??

Every time the clip is fitted to the large outer side of the CV boot on my 78 Eldorado, it keeps "popping" off when it`s put lock to lock? Any recommendations? If I need to renew them, what are the best to fit?

Many thanks,

Steve.
78 Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic

Glen

First of all you need to make sure there is no grease on the area where the clamp goes. 
Next some of the replacement boots are too small.  When installing clamp the large end first.  Then bend the cv joint to the max, see where the small end goes to on the axel.  Clamp it there.  If you clamp it at the place indicated by the shop manual it will pull the large end off. 
Finally, the only clamps I have had any luck with is the original Band-it brand clamps.  But they need the installation tool.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

manxie

Thanks for your reply Glen, greatly appreciated. Steve.
78 Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic