News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Door Handles

Started by Joe Konarowski, June 27, 2017, 10:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Konarowski

On the Glidden tour last fall my locking passenger door handle spun on the shaft of my 30 Cadillac. Of coarse the door was locked and the car on the trailer so I could not unload it when I got home. I guess better to break on the trailer loaded to go home than on tour. Anyway I had a new one made by Mike Butters to replace the old one. I did not realise that when he casts a new handle he uses the original steal shaft and locking tumbler and only replacing the original pot metal part of the handle. You cannot tell the original handle from his replacement and absolutely phenomenal work. Nice to still be able to use the original Brigs and Stratton key on a new handle.
He also made me a complete new windshield riser which he does on an exchange as he has new ones in stock. Now my question is I also had him make me a new handle for the riser by making it from a copy of the one that came out of my car. Mine has a name on the chromed  shaft of the handle so I had him include that detail also. Now did all 30 Cadillac windshield riser shorter handle have a name on it or is mine a replacement? I know I read about this detail years ago but can not remember the specifics about it. Also my rear window quarter glass goes down with a butterfly type of handle and the two door window handles are standard looking. So I have three different types of window handles on this car. Is this common in closed cars?