News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bustleback Seville

Started by John Madan, June 18, 2017, 11:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Madan

Is anyone interested in 1980-85 bustleback Seville. I collect them and have 5 almost show room condition ones on the road and a rare 80 diesel elegant I'm in the process of restoring
2 almost perfect 1984 Seville s 1 is rare touring edition with every available option 1980 Classic Seville diesel that is being restored 1981 and 1982 Seville Roadster 1982 is beyond perfect 1985 base Seville 1978 Eldorado beyond perfect. I have done almost every procedure in the GM shop manual on the Seville if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me

bcroe

I suppose, you have a variety of engines: 4.1L, 368, 350gas, 350 diesel?  Bruce Roe

John Madan

Yes I have 4 with 4100 1 gm warranty conversion to olds 350 gas and now restoring 80 diesel "Classic Seville" diesel and having lots of problems
2 almost perfect 1984 Seville s 1 is rare touring edition with every available option 1980 Classic Seville diesel that is being restored 1981 and 1982 Seville Roadster 1982 is beyond perfect 1985 base Seville 1978 Eldorado beyond perfect. I have done almost every procedure in the GM shop manual on the Seville if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me

TJ Hopland

Having diesel specific issues or just issues in general with the car?     I have some extra 80 diesel stuff. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

John Madan

I bought it a month ago and got it started and ran fine. I got a transporter plate in NY so I can drive it I'm going to register in Alabama. Drove it a little and the injection pump started leaking can't see exactly where , I think it is a weep hole at the shaft. I had 2 spare pump someone gave me tried both , fuel to pump , cranked for hours with all lines cracked at the injectors no fuel. An old time diesel shop in Alabama is going to rebuild the pump for $400 don't see any other option. By the way are you from Wisconsin? If so I think I've talked to you on the phone.

V63

There was a maroon 1981 Seville LIMOUSINE offered to me in respectable condition. Can't be many of those, but a very limited market, I passed.

TJ Hopland

I'm from and in Minnesota.   

These injection pumps won't deliver fuel to the injectors if the return off the pump is restricted.   This could be due to an internal failure or contamination or something external.   These pumps are in some ways similar to auto transmissions.   An the internals and workings are controlled and operated hydraulically using the fuel as the fluid.   The overall housing pressure is set by a regulator that is basically the return line fitting.   If the housing pressure is off, especially high nothing works correctly.  It doesn't take much debris to screw up that regulator valve.   Lots of stories of these things on tractors would die in the field.  Quick fix to limp back to the barn was loosen some of the housing screws so fuel could just bleed out.    You could have a pinched or collapsed line going back to the tank causing the issue too.   The return goes to the very bottom of the tank so back in the day when water was a big problem in the winter the water would freeze and block the return so it would not start or run.    Another trick is to put a clear line on the return so you can see if there are bubbles in it.   IF there is air getting into the system that will also really screw things up. 

Having what you believe is the original pump rebuilt is a good idea, at least at that point you should know you have a good pump.  If you can check the numbers to make sure its correct for your injectors and such.   They 5.7 pumps will all physically interchange but there are some internal differences that can make them more or less incompatible with different injectors.  I think one version has like a residual pressure valve that only works with one type of injector.  If you put that with the other type they just don't work correctly. You should check with your shop and see if they can clean and test your injectors too.  They won't likely be able to repair them if there are issues but at least they can clean and test em.   If you have any spares they can also match them up so you end up with the pop pressures as close as possible.   

80 was an odd year for the diesels.   As far as I can tell all the 80's still had the external EGR.   The external EGR was literally a pipe that ran from the exhaust manifold to the intake for EGR.   81 they switched to an internal system more like the gas engines where there was an exhaust crossover in the intake.   The quick way to tell is how many studs in the air cleaner lid.   The earlier externals had a single stud just like the gas stuff.    Later internal had 2 studs because the actual valve was much larger and in the center so they had to use 2 studs spread out.   The external stuff has much larger ports, no idea if that helped with performance or not.  I suspect not.

The other change in 80 was the injectors.  Earlier engines used what people call the pencil injectors.   These were a kinda long and narrow injector that was held into the head with a retainer clip.  The other quick way to tell is these had a return line off the side of each injector.     Most of the 80's seemed to get what people call micro injectors.    The micro injectors are not much larger than the nuts on the fuel line and don't have a return line.  They thread into the heads kinda like a spark plug.  They are bigger than the glow plugs but not as big as a spark plug.

The heads were different depending on the injector type and egr type making 80 an odd year because it was the 'old' external EGR head but threaded for the new micro injectors.      Intakes don't interchange because of the difference in port sizes.   I have heard of cases where someone has got one that isn't running right and they found that someone got the wrong combo of heads and intake.  The metal one in the photos is the earlier design.  As you can see same but different enough to screw things up if you get it wrong.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

John Madan

Thanks it is the external get valve and pencil injectors. The guy at the shop told me that there was a plastic ring in the governor the breaks up and plus everything. The check valve on the return is clear but he also said that if it's blocked somewhere else, the fuel blows past the seals and leaks out of the weep hole. This is the original pump so rather than trial and error with the other pumps which came from later model better to have the original pump rebuilt. Unfortunately can't test the injectors because I just took the pump off and brought it with me to my winter house in Alabama. The car is in NY.