News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Membership benefits

Started by arton4wheels, June 18, 2017, 03:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arton4wheels

Ladies and Gentleman of CLC,

I would like to know, from members what exactly are all the benefits of membership to this organization.  Yes I realize it somewhat outlines it on the CLC webpage but it isn't really specific.  I realize you get a magazine and access to tech support, but quite honestly I can get those without joining anything or paying dues to anyone.  I'm just not the type that goes into anything with blind assumptions, I get most if not all my facts first.  I don't just join anything without knowing why I did it.  Not trying to sound selfish in the least, but what's in it for me?  What are the member specific benefits, as opposed to non members?  Are there any incentives such as member discounts by certain vendors that I would probably normally use?  Or discount incentives on CLC products such as the authenticity manuals?

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me.  Any feedback is appreciated.  I just want to go into this a little bit more educated.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

I prefer email over PM  arton4wheels@yahoo.com

Jeepers Creepers

Its up to the individual I think, on what they get or don't get out of something. IMHO

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Barry M Wheeler #2189

No discounts that I know of. But I have belonged since 1964. Been a Director, Ex. V.P, National President, made friends all around the world. To me that is priceless.

You do get our National Directory, which is invaluable to find those hard to find parts. (Probably 70% of our members do not use this Forum, but the Directory lists each car our members own, and I have found 99.99 percent of our members do not mind a cold call from a fellow member needing advice or a part as long as you don't call during meal times or bedtimes.)

Going on one of our driving tours or attending a Grand National meet is a great experience. We would love to have you join us. One thing I have found is that many of our of our members treat fellow members quite a bit "better" relative to pricing than if you simply are someone they're sending a part purchased on eBay. (You never need just one part...) Getting acquainted with who you're dealing with is much of the (Are we having fun yet?) of the hobby.

Best of luck to you.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

arton4wheels

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on June 18, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
No discounts that I know of. But I have belonged since 1964. Been a Director, Ex. V.P, National President, made friends all around the world. To me that is priceless.

You do get our National Directory, which is invaluable to find those hard to find parts. (Probably 70% of our members do not use this Forum, but the Directory lists each car our members own, and I have found 99.99 percent of our members do not mind a cold call from a fellow member needing advice or a part as long as you don't call during meal times or bedtimes.)

Going on one of our driving tours or attending a Grand National meet is a great experience. We would love to have you join us. One thing I have found is that many of our of our members treat fellow members quite a bit "better" relative to pricing than if you simply are someone they're sending a part purchased on eBay. (You never need just one part...) Getting acquainted with who you're dealing with is much of the (Are we having fun yet?) of the hobby.

Best of luck to you.

Nice feedback Berry, Thank you.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

Jay Friedman

I agree with Barry.  I've been a member since 1984 and have enjoyed every minute.  Lots of friends made, and have had great times at the club's Hershey tent, Grand Nationals and local regional group meets.  Also, exchanging information with other members has been invaluable.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

cadillac ken

I searched for a bumper for my 1937 series 60 coupe.  Needless to say hard to find.  Not to mention the search soon revealed that there are at least 3 versions of the bumper for that year.  They all look the same but the bolt spacing, length, and curvature are all different.

Now, I can tell you that there are very few folks out there that have the patience it takes to help me, IF they even have a bumper, by suffering the different measurements that need to be taken to determine the correct one for my car.

The folks here are great.  Many offered advice, clarification of details, send me photos, took measurements, and eventually I found a gentleman that had a pair of the bumpers.

So for me the support of terrific guys that all just want to help each other get their cars in order and correctly, is worth the price of admission. 

Plus, the information some folks here have about their, and others, cars is invaluable.  I have been helped out in a pinch many, many times with correct and great advice by true experts.

Walter Youshock

I joined in 1993.  Best investment I ever made.  It's true--it isn't about the cars, it's the people you meet.   I've been places because of  this organization that I'd never have seen otherwise.

Also, the more you put into the club, the more you get out of it. Joining Regions, chapters and getting involved reaps benefits over and above what you put into it.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

wrench

I am not a joiner. However, I feel that the value I have gotten from the forum and other members is worth the dues in order to support the organization.

Believe me, if I didn't think it was worth it, I wouldn't support it.

From your original post, it looks like you want tangible value. I am sure others can enumerate those.

What I am talking about are the intangibles. Of course, I cant list them for you other than to say that they are plentiful and valuable in other ways.

If you google a subject on these cars, the most relevant and useful results are found in this forum.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Chas

You would pay tens of thousands of dollars to study any particular subject at any good university. Conversing with the fella's here on this forum, I realize how much I DON'T know!
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

76eldo

There are many benefits that are intangible.  It's not a financial decision.  If you are into collecting Cadillacs or other cars including Cadillacs, Supporting the National and Regional club has many benefits, but it's not like joining Sam's or BJ's to get a discount on "stuff".

1.  The monthly magazine that comes with the annual dues is worth the cost of membership alone.  If you find one part or car from the ads there. it's worth it.  You can also advertise items or cars for free that you may wish to sell.

2.  Participating in the Grand National.  You need to be a CLC member to do this with your car.  We have met many people and have formed friendships at these gatherings.  Same thing with the regional meets.  I have acquired many parts and also cars that one would never know about through personal associations with other club members.

3.  Knowledge.  There are lots of people in the club that know more about the cars that I own than I do and I have a way to contact them.  Using this forum without joining the club is allowed but being a member and meeting other members has many rewards.

I have been a member for many years and would not even think of not renewing when my dues are due.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

m-mman

While others have stated many good benefits I will get down & dirty.

This forum is not free. Hosting and band width is not free.
It is not behind a paywall and this is in keeping with the attitude of altruistically assisting other Cad/LaS enthusiasts. And it introduces them to the fellowship that is possible in the organization.

I participated in this forum for about a year before I concluded that benefiting from the resources that are available here without supporting the organization economically becomes an unethical act. It transitions into a theft of resources that others are paying for.

One thing I have learned in my life is that if you dont support something economically (Restaurant?, Market?) it will eventually be gone from your life.

If I never attend a meet or even read the magazine, this forum is easily worth the price of admission.
Which aint that much after all.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Dave Ritchie

I'm impressed.  Thanks for all the information, sign me up.  Dave Ritchie

Bill Young

I believe the greatest benefit is the ability to connect to the world wide Cadillac brain trust that all belong here. I was one of those pain in the ass kids always asking why. I study Cadillac's in minute detail , I Love that stuff. Especially decoding these cars the mystery cars in particular. The Cadillac and LaSalle Club members provide a deep well of information that seems to not be available in such quantity any where else. My Wife says I am notoriously cheap however I must do 3 things yearly. Continue my membership in the National Club , continue my membership in the local chapter and re up my subscription to Hemmings Classic Car that I read cover to cover and have almost since day 1.

Highwayman68

In addition to all of the points already made when buying parts from another member a personal check is usually accepted or an honor system is used in the buying/shipping when you are a member. This makes those quick needed purchases go quicker and smoother.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

jdemerson

The answers given here are on target. I'll throw in a few of my own.

1. I acquired my '52 from a CLC member and his spouse who i met at a Grand National. He has continued to be a friend and has responded to various specific questions. His advice and support have continued to be invaluable.

2. The Message Board has been an invaluable source of information through the connections with knowledgable and experienced Cadillac owners. Without being unprofessional or inappropriately critical, they manage to help fellow members avoid mistakes in purchasing cars, parts (especially), and in choosing vendors. That is, they point fellow members to honest and supportive vendors and to quality parts. By the way, many interactions wind up going "off-line" when doing that serves the needs of the people who are communicating.

3. As our cars become older, and our friends and contacts also become older, it becomes harder to get the information, skill, support, and advice needed to keep cars in good running condition (or better). The CLC provides the human resources that help us deal with these realities.

3. The Self-Starter magazine is always high quality and very informative at many levels. Editor Steve Stewart is an excellent writer, and his own pieces are of top quality.

4. Finally, our membership dues support  a wonderful community of hobbyists in a hobby that is richly rewarding and satisfying. It is a hobby that deserves to continue and to thrive.

5.  Please do join us and continue your membership!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Greg Powers

As my parent's taught me, "Nothing In This Life Is Really Free". Everything that we have today was made possible by past generations. Membership in this club is not free but has innumerable  benefits. As you have stated you can be a guest on the forum but you miss out on really getting to know  the people behind the names. As so many have stated before on this post, this club is about so much more than our Cadillacs and LaSalles and information regarding these fine vehicles.  It is about friends, many who are  as  close as family, spread around the country and around the world. It is about a membership directory that puts you in touch with every member; a wonderful magazine, The Self Starter, that brings new stories and pictures of our club every month; a real wealth of knowledge on an unlimited array of subjects; and a passion for the preservation of our hobby. The dues paid for your membership provide all of this and a promise to future generations that through our support this organization will continue to support our hobby for years to come. I hope that you will join us and become a part of our family.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

arton4wheels

Thank you so much everyone, for your replies.  Although I felt marginally uncomfortable asking this question due to the fact of the possibility of it being misconstrued, I can see it was plenty beneficial for me to do so.  I posted it ,allowed it to grow, and was met with infinitely more than what I was searching for.  Thank you for allowing me to make an educated decision, rather than joining "just because".  I appreciate it.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Ken, you kind of lucked out. We have two very active Region/National members in LaPorte. Dr. Lars Kneller has a large collection of cars and Bill Hedge (The lawyer in the Painted Lady on Indiana Ave.  with the sign out front.) Bill doesn't have quite as many as Lars, but they will be happy to know of another Cadillac person in town. We are having the 1942 Series 75 partially restored at Dorman's shop that will end up in our Cadillac Museum near Kalamazoo, MI.

I am about 75 miles south of you in Flora, IN.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

NORTHPORTGUY

It's reasonable to ask the question "what's in it for me?"  The above answers were right on.

Joining the CLC and using this forum attending several GN's and driving tours have been great fun for my wife and me.  Advise and part availability super.  Comradery priceless.

One other point that I'm wondering about is-  to what extent if any does the CLC underwrite insurance for local club's or local chapter's events?

I thought I'd heard  somewhere that if a member has an accident at a chapter event the CLC has a policy that will make the member whole.
     This only tangentially addresses the point the author brought up  but maybe it is a point worth clarifying (or not?) It may arise at the local level.   

Ken Wiebke
member 23013 

Art Director

Read this page: http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/page/about

I joined the CLC in 1994. The club is my second familyâ€"it is much more than a car club, and that really showed with the outpouring of sympathy after my wife passed almost 10 years ago. I've visited 44 states now, many of which I would have never have been in without the CLC.

Come on, $40 a year is dirt. cheap.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold