News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

replacing the rear transmission seal 55 series 62

Started by GasWorksGarage, June 20, 2017, 10:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GasWorksGarage

Hello,

I have ordered a manual but it will not be here until Monday. I am going to replace the rear seal in the tail shaft on the transmission.
Looks pretty straight forward. I pull the drive shaft pull out old seal and replace with a new one.

Am I missing anything?
Thanks in advance C. Sams

Caddy Wizard

Yes, it looks like an easy job.  It isn't.  I have done it several times and find it to be very difficult.  If you have the right seal puller, not too bad.  Without it, very hard to remove.  The interference fit between the seal and the housing is too great, IMO.  I have done this in as short a time as 4 hours and have spent a whole day doing it. 

Good luck...

Art
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

GasWorksGarage

goofyhb

For the 1955 transmission the shop manual tells you to use a certain tool. For a 1962 transmission it comes clearer to what everybody does when it comes to replacing this seal. Attached are both descriptions from the service manuals.
1955 Series 62 Sedan http://bit.ly/1Ri914p
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Fleetwood

GasWorksGarage

thanks all. Took about 10 minutes to get old seal out. about 45 minutes all together

Mike Baillargeon #15848

C. Sams did you use a slide hammer?

Or some other tool?

Mike  #15848
Mike
Baillargeon

GasWorksGarage

Mike,

I used a thin screw drive to fold down the outer edge of the seal then it came right out. I tried a slide hammer but it ripper thru it.