News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

For Sale 1990 Allante Convertible $4,500, or trade

Started by Bill Marcy, June 20, 2017, 06:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Marcy

It is White Diamond with red interior. Body is nice, but has some scratches and a few dings, but minor. Nice interior. Motor and trans are good and tires are one year old.

Original top, showing its age
AC blows warm
Ignition key is stuck in ignition.

I have been disappointed with this car. I have spent lots of money on it, such as; tires, and I recently spent $2800 mechanically at the Allante Garage, only to have the key stuck in the ignition. It really isn't a bad car, but I can't deal with it anymore.

I will consider offers, or a trade.

Please call Bill Marcy 201 342 4871  Hackensack, NJ  CLC Membership  #29412

Alan Harris CLC#1513

As a former Allante owner, I feel your pain, buddy.

V63

Stuck key.

That's a fairly common ignition lock assembly failure, not a very difficult fix. The steering column has to be disassembled to just past the nylon turn signal cam assembly. Then one screw holds the lock assembly, by 1990 I believe it's a torex screw head. The whole lock assembly pulls out. Cost for new lock assembly is $10 at discount auto stores.  A good seasoned lock smith,with automotive experience, should be able accomplish in a 1/2 to an hour.

I remember a friend called me decades ago about this problem in his 79 cadillac, I thought for sure I could get the key out...wasn't happening. We had to buy the lock assembly.

Feel your pain. I remember the episode of "Married with children" where Kelly was trying to be the sexy front figure of the "New Allante". She failed just as Cadillac did with the the car. Was that episode a product placement?

arton4wheels

I think what I enjoy most about this ad is your honesty.  Lol.  Im not in the market for your car but I think you may have swayed me from this model forever.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

I prefer email over PM  arton4wheels@yahoo.com

67_Eldo

I too appreciate the honesty!

When I was looking at Cadillac candidates last year, I narrowed my choices down to three: The Allante, the XLR, and the 1967 Eldorado. My budget was to either get a relatively nice example of an Allante/XLR or get a 50-year-old Eldorado that (inevitably) would need work.

I was amazed by the stories about the Allante brake problems, in particular. Or, in the final year, the Allante had the Northstar to contend with.

The XLR was appealing … until I saw the top go up and down (while thinking about Delco electronics and $ signs) and reading about the pans that the owners put under their cars because they have unstoppable leaks.

So I chose the *safe* route. Ha ha ha!

Good luck with your sale!