News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Separating front drums from hub

Started by CarsandDrums68, June 21, 2017, 12:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarsandDrums68

Hey Guys,

I have a 1968 De ville Convertible and my front drums are out of spec. I have new drums to replace the old ones but i need to separate the wheel bearing housing and the wheel studs from the actual drum itself. Supposedly, the housing is supposed to be pressed out, but my question is do i need a press or is there a technique to this? i have spent time trying to bang the housing out using a hammer and a block of wood (making sure its flat, so i don't ruin the housing), but it will not slip out of the drum. I also looked in the shop manual and there is really no description on this topic. Please let me know how to handle this.

Thanks,
Al

The Tassie Devil(le)

The way I do it is place the wheel nut on the stud, not fully down to protect the threads, and with the back of the bolt, where it goes through the hub, into a solid tube, which acts as a backing anvil, and belt it loose with a heavy sledge hammer.

Do each one in turn, then remove the nuts from the threads, and the studs from the holes, then the drum from the hub.

Installing is the reverse procedure.

Always make sure that the opposite side from where you are hitting, is supported.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

When in doubt, farm it out.
Hammering can deform/crack the parts and if you miss?  The drum won't go back on, without some filing on the hub, if you cream the edge.   I finally gave $150 for a 20 ton press after, take to a local machine shop, if no press.   Mine did studs for $20.
If the new drum have no hub on them, they should come off the hub fairly easily.   Since they are fitted dry held tightly together with no lube, they tend to heat and rust together over time and need persuasion.   The center hole is a fairly tight tolerance. 
So if they don't come off by themselves, you have to remove the hub to get them off the vehicle.   Then I'd press out the hub and then the studs, but soak holes/mating surfaces in WD, blaster, penetrating oil first.   Be careful when pressing parts, don't just keep cranking it, if things aren't moving.   Clean the mating surfaces before going back.   
Good time to check wheel bearings, replace if necessary, and repack.
Sometime you can pull the new studs in with an upside down spare lug nut/impact, but risk stripping, so I still prefer to press them in til they're flush.   Use new lug bolts and nuts.

CarsandDrums68

okay, thanks guys.
Ill prob just take it to a machine shop and have them press it out, not worth risking any damage.