News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 dash pad re-installation

Started by cadman56, June 22, 2017, 05:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman56

I have replace the dash pads on several 56's through the years and know it isn't a slam-dunk job.  However, since I have many more years on me and failing eyesigjt I seem to run into a job I may have to outsource.  I am not able to get the pad forward enough to get the screws on the lower side to engage and I can't get it forward far enough to get the left corner upper bolt in.
The center support to body is no-adjustable.  The left support is adjustable and I have it set as far forward as possible.
Any thoughts out there to what I am missing?  Thank you in advance,
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Roger Zimmermann

It's hard for me to understand why you have a problem. I R & R many times that cumbersome pad without the difficulty you have. The underside of the dash is smooth, unless you have an Autronic Eye which may interfere with someting.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

stzomah

Mine also came out/went in fairly easy.  It just slides up on the ends in the last inch or 2...  Once those front bolts are lined up, everything was in place under the front for the screws that attach to the metal dash.

You must have something just not lined up or something popping up from under.  My suggestion is to take a break and pull it out and start again.  Most of the frustrating reassembly jobs I've had were solved by calming down and re-looking over the mating parts.  Its amazing how you overlook things when you get frustrated.  I frustrate easily!
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975

Lexi

Larry how are yeah? If I understand your post, I as well had the same issue with my '56 dash pad. In my case I got all the windshield area screws in but I could not install the chrome dash side screws, i.e. through the dash front then up into the dash pad top. The holes did not line up and were way off. Consequently I got a nasty rattle when I drive. I got to remove all for some more work under the dash very soon and I have a plan to put it all back together properly this time. This plan may help you. My suggestion is to use a selection of those tiny "L" shaped pry tools, or picks. I suggest that you first bolt down the dash pad at the windshield side, then use the pry tool to pull the dash TOWARDS you to line up the dash holes, one at a time, with the dash pad screw mounts. Attached is a picture of the tool I intend to use. The pry tool is going to have to be a small one, that can get between the dash and dash pad and still allow you to pull the dash towards you thus enabling the screw holes to line up to be installed. Hope this helps (both of us).  If you don't have that tool, you could try things backwards to this, and first install the front dash screws THEN using your fingers pull the dash pad towards you from the windshield side. That might enable you to get one of the windshield screws in and then finish the job. When the time comes I am going to go with the first plan in my case. Taking apart the dash on these cars is not pleasant.  Clay/Lexi

J. Gomez

I would agree with Roger and Wayne "IF" the instrument panel was not remove to get the dash pad remove.

I just re-install both on mine ’56 and I had to leave the instrument panel (fully loaded) loose at the two end side brackets and both bottom mounting bolts.

The dash pad w/an Autronic eye was install and the rear 6 bolts w/spacers place with no issues. Once the dash was in place I was able to maneuver the instrument panel up and aligned the lower mounting screws.

IF the instrument was not removed and just loosen (drop down slightly) the dash pad should go in with no issues, the trick is to get the bottom screws holes aligned with the pad mounting clips.   >:(

As Clay noted above a tool such as the one he show would help, I have a couple of skinny screwdrivers that help me with alignment.  ;D 

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

cadman56

The dash panel was removed to be refinished because of many scratches.   Somehow it got bowed forward in the center where the screws go in on the udeside of the panel.  I got a small hook and pulled it out to get the holes lined up with the pad.  It is all back together and almose looks new.  And yes, I do have an autronic eye. 
I have Rand R'd many 56 pads but this one had me baffled.
Thanks for your replies.
Now if I can just figure out where to drill the holes for the seat belts.
I can start to smell the open road by now.
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820