News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Route 66 76 Eldorado

Started by 7gen, June 22, 2017, 09:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7gen

Just completed a 6500 mile trip down Route 66, from the Northeast to California and back in my 76 Eldo convertible. It was an adventure!

Had a flat outside of St. Louis on the 255. There seemed to be about six inches of spare room on the shoulder of the road after I pulled it over so I called a service to hook and book and change the tire someplace safe. The weird thing was that I didn't even know the tire was flat. Just got a sort of sideways lurch a couple of times and a car passing me pointed out the tire.

The catalytic converter was original from 1976 and apparently clogged. It got good and hot under the passenger's feet and we didn't know why until I picked up the floor mat and saw a circular burn in the carpet. This was after some doggy climbs up the mountains outside Hesperus, CO. We put a "test pipe" on in Holbrook, AZ and except for the muscle car sound, it ran a LOT better. Lots of power.

The speedometer cable (lower) quit outside of Amarillo. The head that goes into the transducer broke off inside the transducer so I had to buy cables and a transducer. Both parts were overnighted to me in Flagstaff from USA Parts and Summit Racing, which deserve kudos for quick service. 

The AC quit outside of Seligman, AZ. Needles was 108.7 that day and we had to go across the Mojave the next morning. We got a VERY early start and missed the heat. Turns out the high side AC hose needs a new fitting and the clutch plate on the compressor needs a new magnet. I waited until I got home to do this rather than deal with the fact that California does not like R-12. You can buy marijuana easier in CA than you can R-12.

The loss of the catalytic converter eventually put a hole in my muffler, I think, from all the backfiring. I got those put on in Napa Valley, CA.

Other than that, the car was fine. That sounds sort of ironic but I mean it - the problems the car had were not insurmountable and I was able to get things done that I couldn't do myself, such as the exhaust work, without a lot of hassle. One funny note - I had Classic Auto Repair in Napa Valley look at the AC. He said that he tried his go-to vendor across the street and even they failed. The vendor? Caddy Daddy! Strictly mail order, except for local repair shops, it seems!

The car went up and down the mountains in northern CA just fine, went over Sherman Summit at 8600 feet no problem, had plenty in reserve. The oil was as black as can be, though, when I got home, despite changing it halfway through the trip. Lots of fuel got dumped through when charging up those mountains, so the oil was doing its job.

I'd recommend Route 66 to anyone. We'll be doing it again, for certain. Too much to see at one go. The car (Greenbriar Firemist with a white top) got all sorts of love and started at least four conversations a day throughout the trip. Some bucket list items were checked off (staying at the Blue Swallow, eating in the Turquoise Room at La Posada in Winslow, AZ, etc.) but we couldn't stay on Route 66 the entire time - the road is too deteriorated in some spots. Illinois and AZ were great, but Oklahoma not so much. The museums, the friendly people, seeing different sorts of agriculture, meeting folks from all over the world - what an adventure!!

And we and the car lived to tell the tale!!!!

7gen

Oh, and in case anyone is thinking of doing this trip:

Illinois has really developed its Route 66 heritage. Tons of museums, old gas stations, etc. All are free of charge. Illinois sees Route 66 as a money maker for them. Must see places in Illinois - various restored gas stations, the Pontiac museums and the biggest treat was Doc's Soda Fountain in Girard, Illinois, which is an old apothecary and soda fountain. The former owner, 84 years old and spry as can be, gave us a personal tour as the place was closing of his family's collection of nostrums and elixirs (including a bottle of actual snake oil). He regaled us with stories of the shop from long ago since his family had owned it since 1884. Wonderful man. Never saw so much flat flat flat farmland! Great small towns with old-time main streets like the kind I grew up with, so I was right at home. The Cozy Dog was closed when we went by, but we hit some hamburger/shake stands later in the trip.

Missouri got hit hard with flooding so some things we wanted to see, we couldn't. Cuba was great, though, and we saw the Wagon Wheel and Munger Moss. Missouri was very lush and green, something we started missing later in the trip.

Kansas has a must-see mining museum in Galena and Tow-Mater is in Galena as well.

For us, the highlight of Oklahoma was the big Route 66 museum in Elk City. Take the time to explore this, especially the farm machinery building out back. Fantastic stuff.

New Mexico's highlight was staying in Tucumcari at the Blue Swallow. The neon was bright and inviting, the people running the place just as nice as can be and the dinner at Del's great. Breakfast at Kix on 66 was where I found out about red and green sauce. The red was hot enough to scorch my mouth and the green melted the fork, so beware! Locals all favor the green, though.

Took a side trip to Mesa Verde, Arches, Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly. Learned so much about life in the Southwest for Native Americans.

AZ had great attractions such as Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, the Wigwam Motel, Snow Cap, Kingman, Peach Springs, Hackberry, the list is endless.

CA was a disappointment. Most of 66 goes through boring desert until you hit populated areas and then there are TOO MANY PEOPLE!!!! Not a lot to see until you get to the LA area. Barstow's Harvey House was interesting but we had just seen La Posada so it was a come-down.

Anyways, we'll do it again in a few years. Route 66 is a great ride through a piece of Americana that is fading so if you want to enjoy life in the US "back in the day", I'd suggest doing the trip sooner rather than later. The parts of 66 that are not actively being preserved are deteriorating quickly.

quadfins

Most interesting. Thanks for posting this story.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

D.Smith

m-mman

Dont write off the California 66 experience so easily.

California actually has TWO route 66 museums. One in Barstow and one in Victorville,  (in the high desert before you come down the hill and get to the city) Both are free(!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Route_66_Museum
http://www.route66museum.org/

California also has one of the original Wig Wam motels in San Bernardino.
http://wigwammotel.com/

We also have a memorial to the WOMEN who made the travel experience.
http://www.publicartinpublicplaces.info/madonna-of-the-trail-1929-by-august-leimbach

Yes much of California's route 66 is an URBAN experience. The old things ARE there, but you do have to look harder for them, they dont hit you smack in the face like in other states.

Chicago has just ONE end of 66. California has TWO! Originally 66 ended in downtown LA,  (its still there but you gotta search for it) later 66 was routed to the Pacific ocean in Santa Monica so that it would have a symbolic/romantic end.
Like much in California we offer an experience that you wont find anyplace else.  8)
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

STS05lg

Gee what a great trip, hope I can take one of mine on a one lap America someday. Thanks for posting the great story. You should write up an article for the Self Starter with accompanying photos  :) :) :)

Chas

The wife and I did Route 66 on a motorcycle a few years ago. Shipped the bike to L.A. and road  back.
All I can say is that anyone interested in Americana needs to make this trip at least once in their life.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

7gen

I hope I didn't come across as bad-mouthing California. After the Route 66 portion of the trip, we spent a good deal of time in California and really enjoyed what we saw.

From Route 66, we went to Santa Barbara and enjoyed the ocean, the Santa Barbara mission (really really interesting) and the beautiful courthouse. From there, we went to San Simeon and toured Hearst Castle, then up the 101 (the Camino Real) to San Jose for the Winchester Mystery House and Museum. We then stayed in Napa Valley, visiting wineries (including the Mario Andretti winery - he wasn't there, though...), seeing the sights in San Fran, Muir Woods, Yosemite, etc.

California is probably the single most beautiful state in the lower 48 if for nothing else than the variety of agriculture, mountains, ocean-fronts, valleys, different land forms, etc. It would be great if it were not for all the traffic jams!!! Everywhere we went, we ended up in a jam someplace. Too many people on too few roads. And some strange laws - I went into an auto parts store in Napa Valley to pick up some ethanol treatment and a few other things and when I asked for a bag, they said they couldn't give me one. I could buy a bag or they would put everything in a box for free but they could not just give me a bag. Some recycling law, I guess. I thought it was kinda odd but then, when traveling through New Mexico (where the wind never stops), we saw a lot of barbed wire fencing with plastic bags caught on them, so who knows? Maybe CA has a point.

Anyway, while we weren't as excited about the Rte 66 portion of California as we had been in other states, we were thrilled by how much else the state has to offer. We'll be back, for certain!!

7gen

We saw at least four big motorcycle caravans doing Rte 66 and they were non-American! Apparently, Rte 66 is very popular in Europe and people there will come to Chicago, hook up with a motorcycle tour company and blast off down the road. I don't know the particulars of how they manage it - I had to take a test and get a specific endorsement on my license to be able to drive a motorcycle but perhaps there is some sort of reciprocity agreement. Two French, one German and one British group.

The other big group from out of country traveling Rte 66 are the Chinese. Don't know if they are Republic or People's Republic Chinese but in Moab Utah, we ran into one group as we came out of the motel and they were all clustered around my car. I thought something was wrong but it turned out they were just getting pictures. From the sign language gestures they used, they told me they'd never seen a car this huge! Nine people all needed to get their picture taken next to my car, then they had to do it all again with me and them in the picture. I guess they liked my Stetson.

We found nothing but very friendly people everywhere we went. It is called "fly-over country" but taking it slow, meeting people - that was what made the trip truly special for me. What a wonderful country we live in!!!

35-709

"What a wonderful country we live in!!!"

;D  INDEED!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jock82

We have done this trip many times, My first time was in 1970 in a brand new 70 coupe de ville.  California to Oklahoma.   We have made trip about 9 times, I never get tired of it.  The last time was in a 2008 DTS, and some of my favorite parts are from Needles, to Barstow. 

Guy R Moore
CLC #12650

1976 Olds 98 Regency
1982 Ford pickup
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

m-mman

California is one of the strangest places on earth. All the geography you have mentioned but also it's very liberal government

Yup, we banned plastic bags. If you want a PAPER bag, it costs you 10 cents. But the greatest example of idiocy is that California has also banned COW FARTS(!)
http://nypost.com/2016/09/21/it-will-soon-be-illegal-for-cows-to--in-california/   ::)

Traffic? We dont make things better, we make them worse. The government is ELIMINATING lanes to increase congestion for the purpose of FORCING people to stop driving their cars.
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-0916-lopez-road-diets-20150916-column.html  :'(

As for the route 66 experience, I have always smiled when people drive "more than 2000 miles" to get to LA and then as soon as they arrive, they by-pass most of the urban 66 experience to go on to something else.
I guess that truly is the route 66 experience - the TRIP is more important than the actual destination. . . .
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

The Tassie Devil(le)

My wife and I drove parts of Route 66 in 2002 on our "Trip of a Lifetime", and the best place we visited was Williams.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Quote from: m-mman on June 24, 2017, 02:57:52 PM
California is one of the strangest places on earth. All the geography you have mentioned but also it's very liberal government .
snip.

Yes, and electricity costs (in Cali) from $0.31 to $0.43 per KWH (tiered pricing, the more you use, the more you pay).  In Texas, right now, I'm paying $0.06 per KWH no matter how much or how little I use..

We should be thankful these things we love use gas and not electricity.

:o
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

bcroe

Nice trip, cars were built for traveling.  Thanks for all the details. 

From your experience, you should be able to avoid a repeat of the mechanical problems. 
I don't think the missing cat is causing any issues; check the timing. 

Bruce Roe

Bentley

What tools and spare parts did you bring?
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Steve Passmore

Quote from: 7gen on June 23, 2017, 11:10:35 PM
I don't know the particulars of how they manage it - I had to take a test and get a specific endorsement on my license to be able to drive a motorcycle but perhaps there is some sort of reciprocity agreement. Two French, one German and one British group.

Yes, there is that agreement between countries. I have driven your roads many times on my British license and you could do the same here as a visitor.

We get the Chinese here too.  Some of our small villages in the Cotswold hills are flooded with Chinese visitors and when I drive through on my way to a show in my Cadillac one would think I was the main attraction with a number of pictures being taken.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

oldcarguy

While living in Surprise, AZ. some years ago [we left there in 2005] my wife and I did an antique  vehicle run from Seligman, AZ to Oatman, AZ. There was cars, trucks and motorcycles of all kinds and everyone travelled at his own pace, then met up in Kingman for a car show. That stretch of route 66 was about 150 miles and at the time, very good road. I love that part of AZ and was a very interesting trip! Try Delgadillo's Snow Cap drive in Seligman, good food and a fun place to visit.
We were in our '57 Chevy belair and the car did great all the way from Surprise and back. That was way before my Cadillac days. That is the longest segment of 66 I've been on. Sure would like to do the long trip in my '41 6219 someday, but maybe should get a newer Caddy, something in the '60's....
Don Ford

Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

curly

Don, you are talking about the Route 66 run, held every year in April.  I did it in 90 with my 59 Cad.  I forget how many cars were there, several hundred.  A great way to meet other folks and enjoy your car and theirs.  Attached is a pic a friend took of my 59 just outside of Oatman.

T Lewis

oldcarguy

Mr T Lewis,
what a great picture and a great looking '59!  I had forgotten what it was called, but we went around 2001...
Do you still have that '59? I hope you do and I'm jealous whether you do or not. I bet you have one or more
Caddys!
Thanks for the pic.
Don Ford
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala