News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

historic operating and maintenance costs

Started by WildcatSedan1938, June 23, 2017, 07:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildcatSedan1938

I'm a new member writing an article on wildcat sedans, which operated illegally between Los Angeles and San Francisco from roughly 1920 to 1942.  Many were owner-operators who used second hand (two to four year-old) Cadillac or Packard sedans modified with additional seats to achieve space for 7 passengers and their baggage.  In the late 1930s there were about 40 to 50 sedans in service.  A typical sedan made 2 round trips per week for the 408-mile run.  For the article I would like to estimate operating (gas, oil) and maintenance expenses circa 1938, preferably on a per mile basis.  I've found circa 1938 fuel mileage expenses for Packards, but little else.  Does anyone out there have insight into this question?  I would be most appreciative.  Many thanks, Greg Thompson

WildcatSedan1938

It's important for me to find operating expenses for Cadillac sedans in the later 1930s.  Does any one know of publications that contained operating expense information in the late 1930s?  Many thanks.

m-mman

Wildcat sedans?? Interesting topic.
I have lots of automobile literature and historical material and personally I have never seen this kind of information.

Lincoln Zephyr published information about oil & gas consumption in their sales brochures but they were working to get past the bias against their (standard equipment) V-12 engine. They published figures that showed that they were as economical as an 8 cylinder car.

As for cylinders, luxury makes of this time were available with either an 8 or 12 cylinder engine. (Cad of course had its 16) and that would make a huge difference on expenses. Buying used cars the wildcat operators likely purchased whatever was available

The biggest purveyors of operating expenses today are car rental companies. (they can tell you to the penny what it cost to operate in 2017) But 'U-drives' were not common in the 30s. Any auto liveries that did exist would have been operating only in the city and the expenses of city vs highway usage would not have been comparable.

There were a few 'auto stages' that transported people on a published schedule between destinations but the accurate expense information would be locked up in their business records and are likely unavailable today. 
http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/pollack0715ridgeroute.htm

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/f/fuller/fuller.htm

Funeral homes operated luxury cars (sedans and hearses) and likely maintained good records of the expenses but finding them today would not be possible.

Somebody might have a very original car that came with a record of expenses from the original owner but again the differences between private intra-city operation vs commercial inter-city operation would make the numbers useless.

You can survey people here about the gas mileage they experience on a restored car.
Extrapolating numbers, I would assume no more than a 20,000 mile life span for a tire. A high mileage 1930s car would need oil added (burning and leaking) about a quart every 100-300 miles.  Lube jobs were recommended every 500 miles or so. Valve jobs happened every 10,000 miles at least, and overhauls (ring jobs) every 50,000 miles minimum.
1930s cars were maintenance addicts.

Where did you get your Packard numbers from?
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

gary griffin

Interesting question, do you want the answer in current dollars or dollars and expenses of the era?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver