News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Timing Chain Question

Started by Loveofclassics78, June 24, 2017, 07:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loveofclassics78

Good morning everyone.

Quick question, is it necessary to set your engine to TDC before replacing the timing chain?  The manual doesn't refer to this, but I was just checking. This is on 72 Eldo/500.  Thanks!

Darien

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes.   The timing marks on the Cam and Crank gears are marked so that they can be set point to point.

If there are no marks, then one has to use a degree wheel, and dial indicators to get it to specifications.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Note that TDC happens twice for each cylinder.    With the crank mark at 12 oclock and cam at 6 which us usually how you want to install things will be the exhaust stroke for #1 and compression for #4.   Remember this Cadillac #1 is on the passenger side.     In this position the distributor rotor will be pointed at the cap terminal for the #4 cylinder/wire.

Another note that you can't drop the oil pan in the Eldo without splitting the engine and trans so if you are going to do this in the car you need to cheat a little.   Have you read about that?

And as far as I know people still say the Cloyes brand is the only way to go.   Lots of low quality stuff out there.   Cloyes makes a standarf link belt set as well as a roller (bicycle) style chain.   Either one will be fine for a stock street car.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

When you get the timing cover off, you might see that the crank sprocket mark is
pointed at the cam sprocket, but the cam sprocket is pointed the opposite direction. 
In that case it is my preference to muscle the crank around one turn so they are
pointing at each other.  Then remove them and install the new set the same way. 
Bruce Roe

Loveofclassics78

Thanks everyone. I have been researching the different procedures and cheats when it comes to he timing chain.  I think I'm pretty much prepared to tackle the job.  Actually looking forward to it because I'm ready to get my Eldo on the road.

Not much of a cheat on the pan though. Like you said TJ, the engine really needs to come out for that job. Not many ways around that type of job with this fwd. not a big deal though because I may probably pull the motor.

Question, if I get the cover off and the marks aren't lined up, with the hub/balance off how would I turn the crank to line everything up?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Put a 9/16" UNF bolt in the crank and tighten it up.   Use that to turn the crank.

PS.   You might find that there is a cork in the hole to protect the thread.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, you will need the threaded hole to reinstall the Harmonic Balancer.

I made my own installer, by using a longer 9/16" UNF bolt with a long thread, and with a nut and washer, wound the Balancer back on.

I don't advice people to simply use the internal thread as a installer, as there could come the day when the thread could become damaged after constant use.

Plus, after the engine is back together, I leave the short bolt in place to act as a turning tool, and to fill the hole.   Leave the washer on, and this acts as a Balancer retainer as well.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

It isn't a really clear picture of the bolt, but it was aimed at the gear and chain.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe