News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hard start after a parade in a 1952 Cadillac

Started by jdemerson, June 25, 2017, 06:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

I am sharing this experience here simply because it may be helpful information to someone with a 1950s model.

My car is stock 1952 with the 4-barrel Carter carburetor and mechanical fuel pump. It is in good operating condition and yesterday morning it started on the first try. I use only ethanol-free 91 octane gasoline and a little lead substitute added.

I drove it for 1 1/2 hours and was then parked for over an hour prepping the car and waiting for an early Independence Day parade to begin. The weather cleared and it was fairly hot (around 80 I think) by the time the lineup began. The parade was a fine one, very well attended and lasting 1 1/2 hours. [Aside: The spectators loved seeing the old Cadillac and I heard countless appreciative comments and saw many thumbs up.] So the car was moving at idle for a very long time, with an occasional blip of the throttle to boost the generator a bit (perhaps pointless...). After the parade ended I drove a mile and stopped in order to put a banner in the trunk and get out a light lunch. When I went to restart it, it turned over fine but would not start. I made several tries, and then gave up, not wanting to run down a battery that may already have been low because of the prolonged idling.

I had my lunch, waited 20 minutes with the hood up in the black car. Finally I went to restart it and it started easily and quickly. I drove off and an hour and 15 minutes later I arrived home with no problems.

My analysis: The engine was unusually hot because of 1 1/2 hour of running under load at idle. Then the car was turned off and the excess heat vaporized some fuel and blocked the gas supply to the carburetor. As soon as the gasoline returned to its normal liquid state, all was well. By the way, the temperature gauge was up at halfway mark during the parade but returned to about 1/3 when out on the highway. Of course I could have used a cold wet towel to make things cool down faster. And I know the clothes pin trick...

Further comments, different analysis, and free advice all welcomed!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Jon S

I concur with your analysis. It could also be that the Ethanol-free gasoline is not so Ethanol-free. Just a thought. It sounds like vapor lock to me.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

35-709

I concur also and just because the gas is ethanol-free it doesn't mean you can't get vapor lock --- just less likely.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jay Friedman

I totally agree with Jon S and 35-709. 

IMHO, the "workout" you gave your '52 in the parade was a classic vapor lock inducing situation; that is, idling along for a prolonged period in warm weather.

One day last summer my '49 (in which I only use ethanol-free gasoline) and I were stuck in traffic for 30 minutes or so and the temp gauge slowly crept up to the 1/2 mark.  It didn't stall, but when I was finally free of the traffic and accelerated onto an interstate it skipped a few beats, meaning there was some air in the fuel. 

I have a 5-bladed fan meant for '49 limos and hearses that I keep meaning to install, which should move more air in such situations.  Just haven't gotten off my duff, because unlike the original 4-bladed fan which will slip between the fan hub and the radiator, the 5-bladed version will not so I'd have to pull the radiator to install it.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TJ Hopland

My way around that problem till I went EFI was an electric fan hooked to a wind up timer.   It apparently doesn't take much air flow under the hood to significantly reduce temps.   On mine if I would just pop the hood far enough that there were gaps on the sides that was enough.  After the fan I would just wind it up to between 5 and 10 minutes when I would park it hot.   Worked 98% of the time and during that time I was running ethanol blended fuel. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jdemerson

For the record, I have not had any other instance of vapor lock since I switched to ethanol-free 91-octane fuel (the only ethanol-free gas available here) a few years back. I suspect that 1 1/2 hours in a parade on a warm sunny day is a killer!

Jay Friedman is very experienced in this area and his advice has been valuable. I share his preference to avoid changing to an electric fuel pump or adding a fan. On the other hand, if vapor lock appeared more regularly or under different circumstances, I'd do what is needed to have the car reliable and usable. For now I'll assume the situation was quite unique, and wait to see if vapor lock becomes an issue in more "normal" circumstances. Thanks for the comments and advice!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Jon S

Quote from: jdemerson on June 26, 2017, 07:03:22 AM
For the record, I have not had any other instance of vapor lock since I switched to ethanol-free 91-octane fuel (the only ethanol-free gas available here) a few years back. I suspect that 1 1/2 hours in a parade on a warm sunny day is a killer!

Jay Friedman is very experienced in this area and his advice has been valuable. I share his preference to avoid changing to an electric fuel pump or adding a fan. On the other hand, if vapor lock appeared more regularly or under different circumstances, I'd do what is needed to have the car reliable and usable. For now I'll assume the situation was quite unique, and wait to see if vapor lock becomes an issue in more "normal" circumstances. Thanks for the comments and advice!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac 6219X

Totally agree!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

D.Yaros

Turning off the engine led to a "heat soak" situation causing the vapor lock.  You correctly diagnosed the cause.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/