News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to.. Open trunk with no key and remove front seat? 1960 sedan de ville

Started by nolacaddy1960, June 25, 2017, 06:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nolacaddy1960

Car came with title, but no keys.  Still can't get trunk open. Removed three Phillips screws holding upper latch but something is still holding trunk shut.
   Tried to get screwdriver in center hole but it won't budge.
    Don't want to attack it with a maul and chisel.
   Have new locks and keys on order.

I got backseat out, but what is the trick for the front seat?   
  I guess it needs to split in half first?

David Greenburg

Front seat should be easy; bolts at each corner; don't forget the inner ones, inboard of the seat track.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Mike Wenrich #1666

Do what the crooks do.  Use a slide hammer aka dent puller to remove the lock and then a flat blade screwdriver will open the trunk.

Roadmaster75

How about removing the glove box lock and taking it to a locksmith
to have a key cut?
Shouldn't the glovebox and trunk key be the same?

nolacaddy1960

Two problems .
  One, long ago someone buggered the trunk lock with a pick or screwdriver. 
   Second....The glove box is in the trunk.Lol

Slide hammer.  I'll try that.  Was thinking I could open out from inside.   It has a release button on dash, but it didn't seem to work.

Okay, thanks for seat. I saw bolts, just wanted to make sure there were no tricks.

David Greenburg

Seat is just those bolts, but don't forget to unplug connector to power seat. You can remove the seat from the car by yourself if you are an ambitious "tough guy" but it is a whole lot easier with some help.  It is surprisingly heavy.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

59-in-pieces

Zack,
Here is what you are up against inside the deck lid behind the lock.
Slide hammer - yikes.
You could drill the lock out - they are cheap to replace.That will drop the blade that goes from the lock to the electric deck lid lock release.
See pic.
note the slot for the blade.
Use a long thin straight blade screw driver to put in the slot.
Pray to soak what you see in the pic with WD-40 or the like for a while - give it time.
And depending on the rust, twist the screw driver back and forth like a muther, until the mechanism turns and releases the claw at the bottom of the pic.
Good luck and have fun.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

nolacaddy1960

That's what's keeping it stuck the solenoid assembly.
  I going to try to get a screwdriver to turn in that slot.
usually in a car I can almost reach the truck from the backseat. This car has a six foot trunk it seems.

59-in-pieces

S. Butcher

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: nolacaddy1960 on June 26, 2017, 05:21:31 PM
That's what's keeping it stuck the solenoid assembly.
  I going to try to get a screwdriver to turn in that slot.
usually in a car I can almost reach the truck from the backseat. This car has a six foot trunk it seems.

Before you get brutal & break something, here's my suggestion. Get all the extensions you can. Unbolt the retaining bracket on the lower body lip. 3 bolts. Either 3/8 of 7/16 heads. I've done it many times.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

If all else fails, simply drill out the centre of the lock with a battery drill, being careful not to break the drill inside the lock.

I would be starting with a 3/16" drill, then up the size till you have cleared out the tumblers.

With luck, at some time in the drilling process, the drill will catch, and actually turn the guts and open the  trunk lid.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon