News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Front brakes 1957

Started by rich neary, June 25, 2017, 07:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich neary

Complete front brakes off of 1957 Fleetwood. Drums, backing plates, bearings, low milage shoes. Complete!
I Converted to disc brakes. Heavy, so shipping might be an issue. 
I'm located in central NC near Charlotte. Will hold for pick up when you attend Auto Fair in September?
$300.00
Thanks for looking Rich

Rich Neary
Statesville, NC

1957 Series 60 Fleetwood
2013 CTS
1955 Jaguar XK140MC  FHC
1965 Deville Convertible
1998 Jaguar XK8 Coupe

60eldo

Hi, I have a 57 as well and wanted to do the same. Did you change the master and booster as well. Are you happy with the conversion, and what name brand parts did you use ,,,thanks
Jon. Klu

rich neary

Eldo

I first tried rebuilding original drum setup and modernizing the booster/master cyl arrangement with kit from Caddy Daddy. Expensive..... Try ABS brakes, Orange, California. they offer a very similar kit.

After not being satisfied with either stock 1957 hydrovac/drum, and then modern booster/drum combo I decided to go with front discs.
Got the complete setup from Wilwood  brakes. Master cyl, proportioning valve, 10lb. residual valve for rear brakes,and 4 piston caliper /rotor kit. Other brand X, cheaper kits use single piston calipers from a chevy van.
One negative, Wilwood kit includes a spacer which must be used to clear caliper leaving lug bolt studs just long enough to get a full nut.

I'm not sure if original 57 wheels will clear everything, but I'm told they may not and you must use later disc brake Cad or Chevy wheels . I did buy new wheels from Wheel Vintiques and new Coker tires.
ps I have Four later Cad wheels $50 ea. and five Chev p/u wheels $75.00 all, which will work.
I tried with minimal success to improve on the original drum system, first with new wheel cylinders, shoes, turn drums, etc etc then the modern booster and master. I wish I had done the disc brake conversion sooner. I'm very satisfied. The car stops straight and true, pedal feels firm and overall confidence level is higher. Down side of all this, it aint cheap!

Hope this doesn't raise the ire of too many purists out there.  :D :D
Rich
Rich Neary
Statesville, NC

1957 Series 60 Fleetwood
2013 CTS
1955 Jaguar XK140MC  FHC
1965 Deville Convertible
1998 Jaguar XK8 Coupe