News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971 Eldorado mirror

Started by Cesar091665, June 27, 2017, 11:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cesar091665

Would it be possible for someone with a 71, 72 Eldorado convertible to post a picture of their center rear view mirror, including mounting bracket? My car does not have one and I'm looking for one. I think it mounts to the header rather than the windshield itself, but not sure. Also, if you know where I might be able to find one complete with mounting bracket I would really appreciate it.  Thank you.
Thank you
RCC

NORTHPORTGUY

As i recall the there is a metal "tab" which glues to the windshield.   Once the tab is secure the mirror assembly fits over it and is tightened by way of an allen key fastener to the tab     It does not mount to the header .  i think that method was fairly common to full size GM cars of that era..   Be careful with the placement of the tab because it's possible to mount it too low  and have the mirror too low and obscure some of  the field of vision.

Ken Wiebke

member 23013

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, mounts to the glass, and if you require the correct measurement for placement of the mount, I can measure mine.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

NORTHPORTGUY

If your tape measure is handy do me a favor and please  measure   i ask this because the observation I made as far as mounting too low was due  to my personal experience [or perhaps lack of experience]. 
thanks

Ken Wiebke

member 23013

Cesar091665

Thank you guys, I appreciate the info.  :)
One more question, is the mirror black or chromed?
Thank you
RCC

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ken,

The measurement on mine, from the underside of the stainless steel moulding to the top of the mounting bracket that is glued to the glass is 4 3/16".

Now, it may be different on mins, as against an original car because I am not sure if my screen hasn't been replaced at some time during its' life.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

NORTHPORTGUY

Thank you Bruce   i will see what mine is .. 

As far as the mirror it self the back is satin polished metal   Aluminum  i believe, certainly not black,

Ken Wiebke

Member 23013

The Tassie Devil(le)

The surround as seen by the driver is a grey plastic, and the backing is a non-polished stainless steel.

Would you like a picture?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe