News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Eureka Hearse Acc/heater fuse dead

Started by rustytractor, July 06, 2017, 02:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

As of yesterday the ignition switched fuse for the heater motor/ACC has no power. I noticed that the ignition switch felt warm beforehand so assume that the wire from the fuse board to the switch or the connector on the rear of the ignition switch has burnt out.

Is there an easy way to access the rear of the lock or does the dash pad have to come off ?
Too many cars - too little time !!

76eldo

Before you do all that check the wore going to the AC compressor and see if it rubbed through anywhere.  I fixed one that was rubbing on the cable that operated the compressor on and off mode.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rustytractor

Quote from: 76eldo on July 06, 2017, 08:45:47 AM
Before you do all that check the wore going to the AC compressor and see if it rubbed through anywhere.  I fixed one that was rubbing on the cable that operated the compressor on and off mode.

Brian

No A/C on this old girl Brian

I wish it was going to be that simple but somehow I think not.

76eldo

If you remove all of visible screws that hold down the dash pad you can lift it up enough to get to the switch.

To play it safe, drop the cover under the steering column and undo the shift lever indicator.  The cluster comes up with the dash pad.  Cut off a few 2 X 4's to block up the pad and you can get to the connector on the ignition switch.  The pins on the connector may be loose and can cause these symptoms.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rustytractor

Quote from: 76eldo on July 06, 2017, 06:33:59 PM
If you remove all of visible screws that hold down the dash pad you can lift it up enough to get to the switch.

To play it safe, drop the cover under the steering column and undo the shift lever indicator.  The cluster comes up with the dash pad.  Cut off a few 2 X 4's to block up the pad and you can get to the connector on the ignition switch.  The pins on the connector may be loose and can cause these symptoms.

Brian

Thanks Brian, that's good to know.

I'll add it to the bottom of the list of jobs I need to do to my cars and will hopefully get around to it in the next 10-15 years !!

rustytractor

Today I found some time to look into the fault with the heater motor/ACC fuse being dead. Being that this is a 1960 Commercial chassis car (very basic, no A/C, radio etc) I'm not sure if this would be the same for all 1960 Cadillacs but I found that I could reach the back of the  ignition switch via the glove box.

Once i realised this was possible I removed the ashtray, unscrewed the chrome ring that secures the ignition switch to the dash and reached in and pulled the switch back and down and out through the glovebox. I could then check the continuity of the wire from the ACC position on the back of the ignition switch to the fuse board (which was ok) and the condition of the contacts on the back of the switch.

Everything looked fine and tested out ok so I cleaned everything and happily it's now working again - must have just been a bad contact due to age. Access was actually pretty good and the whole job only took 30 mins.

Hopefully this will be helpful for others in the same situation as I was having nightmares about pulling the dash which luckily proved unnecessary.

35-709

Be wary of that old ignition switch, I would be looking for a new switch to replace it.  They do fail internally and are a fire hazard when they do.  Keep a close eye on it, if it gets hot, disconnect the battery NOW.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

rustytractor

Quote from: 35-709 on July 31, 2017, 07:18:39 PM
Be wary of that old ignition switch, I would be looking for a new switch to replace it.  They do fail internally and are a fire hazard when they do.  Keep a close eye on it, if it gets hot, disconnect the battery NOW.

A good point duly noted. I'm doing some more work to the car tomorrow and will keep an eye (well, hand really) on the lock. Has anyone taken one of these locks apart and serviced it ?