News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My "new" car!

Started by Sconnors, July 13, 2017, 07:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sconnors

Newbie here. Proud to be the owner of this beautiful 1968 Cadillac Sedan Deville with only 29,000 original miles! It's a three owner car and is like a time capsule!
Scott Connors

Bobby B

Very Sharp!  ;) Congratulations.......
                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Chas

WELCOME ! And thanks for the photos. We all love photos! Tell us how you went about finding her.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Jon S

Enjoy and best of luck with it!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Very nice. Congrats.
Keep us posted on everything you do.
Obviously go thru everything rubber before you start really driving it. Many will tell you to do the timing gears. It isn't a mileage thing but an age thing. It should be done.
And most importantly, have fun!!
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Sconnors

Quote from: Chas on July 13, 2017, 07:24:02 PM
WELCOME ! And thanks for the photos. We all love photos! Tell us how you went about finding her.
She belonged to an elderly friend of my brother. Her uncle sold it to her shortly before his death. He was left the car by his wife's uncle who was the original owner. He purchased it brand new and passed away shortly after buying the car.

The car is in pristine condition and I have to say I love her!!
Scott Connors

James Landi

THe '67's had many improvements introduced during that model year.  These are great cars, but as noted by  another member's comment, "...make sure to inspect (and be ready to replace) any thing that is rubber."  The reference intended, is  I suspect, referring with upper A frame bushings and other rubber suspension parts... I also concur that a new timing gear "set" should be "on your radar," and while you're having that work accomplished, have your water pump changed and your radiator professionally "de scaled and de gunked"--- also, check vacuum advance, points and condenser. Change tranny oil and filter...have the brakes/brake hoses, master cylinder and wheel cylinders renewed-- flush brake lines   A 50 year old car with the original fuel pump is also a potential issue...   Making the investment NOW, and avoiding damage to the car is important insurance to protect it for inevitable age related  failure.  A competent and enthusiastic mechanic can accomplish this work for you.  Most of all, enjoy your lovely car, and remember, if you take care of it, it will take care of you and your family.   

Scot Minesinger

James is right.  BTW Beautiful car, love the no vinyl roof. 

I bought a 1970 SDV with 35k miles on it, and it had original radiator hoses and all.  Only the oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter were not original.  Anyway, yes replaced all rubber parts (including brake booster), seals and even the metal fuel and brake lines that run front to back plus full brake overhaul (pistons, calipers - everything).  Timing chain replaced too along with water pump.  All the parts were $3,500, and doing it all myself took a while, but now I have a great reliable driver.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Sconnors

I've just had a mechanic go over the car and do all the fluids, shocks, check the brakes etc.  I appreciate the heads up about the other stuff! Good things to know!!
Scott Connors

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

There is nothing like excellent original. I hope it provides you many years of enjoyment.

Congratulations.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

HerbP

1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!
:)

jdemerson

Mr. Connors,

I can't hide my enthusiasm for the '68s, and yours appears to be a pristine original. You have definitely found the right car!

The 1968 rear drive Cadillacs were:

- The first year with the venerable 472 inch V8, 375 h.p., and with excellent Turbo-Hydramatic
- The last year with vertically stacked headlights
- The last year with vent windows
- The first year with power front disc brakes available as option
- The first year with seat belts plus front shoulder belts standard. Rear shoulder belts were an option
- Continued energy-absorbing steering column introduced in 1967
- The first year with concealed wipers under the longer hood
- Base price at mid-year was $5785. Nearly 73,000 of your model Sedan DeVille were sold

Here are options and prices copied from an on-line source:
Auxiliary horn   $16
Automatic level control option on Deville   $79
Automatic Climate Control   $516
Bucket seats with console on models Deville (F-J-B) with leather upholstery required   $184
Firemist finish   $132
Cruise control   $95
Rear window defogger on Deville (J-B-L)   $27
Door guards   $5-8
Soft Ray glass   $51
Guide-Matic headlamp control   $51
Head rests   $53
Leather upholstery, models J-B-L   $138
License frame   $13 pair
Padded roof on Coupe DeVille   $132
Padded roof on Sedans   $137
Power door locks, two-door   $47
Power door locks, four-door   $68
Power ventipanes with required power windows   $72
AM radio   $162
AM/FM radio   $188
AM/FM stereo   $288
Reclining front seat with headrests on Convertible with required bucket seats   $84
Four-way lefthand power bucket seat on models F-J-B   $53
Six-way power front seat on models F-J-B-L   $83
Rear center seat belt   $11
Front shoulder straps   $32 (made standard during model year)
Tilt-telescope steering wheel   $90
Remote control trunk lock   $52
Twilight Sentinel   $32
White sidewall tires, size 9.00 x 15 four-ply 8PR-5   $56 exchange
New items of optional equipment were added as well
Twin front and rear floor mats for all DeVille models   $17
Front seat warmer for all DeVille models   $95

We would be interested to know how your model is equipped, and I'll note that standard equipment content in 1967 and 1968 was high.

Congratulations and best of luck with it.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Sconnors

Mine has the following:

• air conditioning
    AM radio
    Power antenna
    Power seats
    Seat belts
    Map light
Scott Connors

Glen

My 68 ELDO was built in 1967 (October IIRC) and did not come with the shoulder belt.  I’ll bet the law requiring them specified “…cars built in 1968” .   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

jdemerson

Quote from: Glen on July 26, 2017, 02:36:40 AM
My 68 ELDO was built in 1967 (October IIRC) and did not come with the shoulder belt.  I’ll bet the law requiring them specified “…cars built in 1968” .
Glen,

That is correct, though I don't know if it related to a federal law. Several changes made to equipment level (some safety-related) went into effect on January 1, 1968. The changes had to do with what was optional and what was standard equipment. Someplace I have the details if there is interest.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

D.Smith

I rotated, cropped, lightened and resized the photos a little smaller for you. 
The interior one was actually too small so I tried to enlarge it.

Congrats on your purchase!!

Sconnors

Scott Connors

dochawk

Quote from: jdemerson on July 26, 2017, 06:33:28 AM
That is correct, though I don't know if it related to a federal law.

Some states required them earlier.

My father bought a '64 VW new in California.

He looked at the sheets, and special ordered it *without* belts.

"Sir, it can't leave our lot like that."

He brought his own belts and installed them then and there . . .

(he paid a third what VW charged)

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)