News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

63 deville vent window seal install?

Started by Jjump59, July 15, 2017, 08:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jjump59

Bought Steele products weatherstrip for vent windows.  Got old ones apart and discovered the metal clips attached to the original ones holding them in the channel.  Went to install clips on new weatherstrip and found the metal that the clips are attached to are not on the Steele ones.  So looks like original clips won't fit onto the new weatherstrip to hold them into the channel.  Called Steele, they said just use the original clips and attach them to the new ones and install.  I can not see how this could work with any success and wonder what people are doing.  At this point any help would be appreciated.

Caddyholic

post a picture of the seal it might be the wrong seal? I did this on my 61 and used the old clips.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Jjump59

This is the old one with the rubber peeled away to show the metal that is attached to the original one.  I talked to the guy at Steele rubber and he assures me that I have the right replacement ones, they just didn't include the metal that the clips attach to in the rebop ones they make.  Said they would cost to much if they did.  They told me to re-use the original clips, attach them to their rubber and install. 

russ austin

Just use a screw driver and push the rubber into the clip. Forcing the clip open is a gamble and results in possibly cracking the clip.
R.Austin

Jjump59

Do you use some type glue to help hold the rubber in the channel?

russ austin

I did not. I did 2 cars with how I described, and with no leaks or problems.
R.Austin

Jjump59

I will give it it a shot then, thanks for the help.

Jjump59

Got them done,  as usual wasn't as bad as I thought once I got started.  Thanks for the help!