News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What tools do you carry?

Started by Sconnors, July 16, 2017, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sconnors

Just wondering what tools if any you guys carry with you in your classic Cadillac?
Scott Connors

D.Smith

I keep a full tool kit in one of the vintage suitcases in my trunk.   Another case has jumper cables, another has some spare parts like a fuel pump, fuel filter, etc.  The other one has cleaning supplies and one has a wool hat, light jacket and gloves.

All neatly carried and people only see the old luggage.

smokuspollutus

The AAA gold card fits and matches perfectly to the inside of my owners manual!

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

James Landi

Agreed-- the AAA gold card is a must...  over the past 15 years, as my aging fleet has become increasingly fragile, I note that break downs occur "over the long haul."  James

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yep, AAA+ with 100 mile towing. Also have towing on my State Farm policy.
Other than that one of those multi tipped screwdrivers, flashlight a cheapie socket set and a gallon of water with just a touch of antifreeze in it.
I figure if I cant fix it with a screwdriver i can fix it at home. After it has been towed a couple of times it doesn't hurt so bad seeing it on the back of a flatbed.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Walter Youshock

Half the miles I've accumulated have been on a rollback.  Blown water pumps, broken primary distributor wire, transmission, generator failure, brakes...

AAA Premium has come in very handy over the years.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

chrisntam

While just tooling around town, I keep a 1/2" combination wrench just under the seat, on the occasion I need to quickly disconnect the battery cable.  I also carry a fire extinguisher.

I haven't had it on any road trips yet, I would imagine I would take a 1/4" and 3/8" socket sets, screwdrivers, open end wrenches, an assortment of pliers, extra radiator hoses, fan belts, maybe an alternator & water pump.

Repairing roadside is very dangerous now, not sure if that is a recent thing or has always been. 

I too just ponied up for the AAA membership.  I hope not to need it, but I like the piece of mind.

That suitcase idea is pretty cool!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

And a really good flashlight if driving at night.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

z3skybolt

Me too.  I carry a handful of basic tools...socket wrenches. screw drivers, pliers, good ole Vice grips etc. Plus a water pump, fuel pump, generator, jumpers, fan belts and that ever present AMEX card.

Happy cruising.

bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

WTL

Vise grips, jb weld,  duct tape, screw drivers, ratchets and sockets, tire in a can, and something sharp for cutting (I have a big bowie knife in there now from camping)...

The suitcase idea is awesome, and I actually have a few of the right era.

savemy67

Hello Sconnors,

If it moves, and it is not supposed to, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move, and it is supposed to, use the WD-40  :).  The suitcases are a great touch.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

About 20 years ago I put together a pretty comprehensive tool kit that fits into
a small carry case.  It is specially made with sleeves and pockets for tools.

Included Are:
-- complete socket sets in 1/4, 3/8 inch drives with extensions
-- screwdrivers of all types long & short
-- pliers, standard and slip joint
-- wire cutters, strippers
-- spools of wire, duct tape, electrical tape hose clamps (all sizes)
-- small hack saw
-- sheet metal snips
-- ball hammer and chisel
-- Swiss army knife with multipurpose blades

That, of course, does not include a box of spare parts, jumper cables, bottles
of essential fluids, flash light and a sealed beam light with cigarette lighter
feed, 4 way wrench and other stuff.

BTW, this "kit" is always in whatever car I'm taking on a trip -- old or newer!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

You are probably correct. However my car is not of the caliber  to where I have classic car insurance. I can't complain about what I pay for insurance on it. Also, my wife has always had AAA and she doesn't want to get rid of it. So, if I have to have it (wife wants it which means I do too) then I mite as well upgrade to the AAA+. Besides, AAA gives me 10% off at NAPA--that pays for the membership right there.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

D.Smith

Quote from: StevenTuck on July 17, 2017, 07:17:42 AM
I think some of you have the wrong insurance if you have to have AAA for towing. I have INFINITY Classic Collectors insurance, stated value, 6000 miles, 200 mile towing. And yes I have used the towing. Coming back from New Bern, NC for the AACA Grand National, my car quit in Baldwin, FL. Unfortunately I had to pay for anything beyond 200 miles. I did carry a tool kit but not any parts. It was the fuel pump and fuel pump pushrod. The engine was rebuilt but the pushrod was never replaced. It had worn down 1/8 inch along with a warped fuel pump top.

Damn!   I have INFINITY Classic insurance too and didn't know it covered towing!     The new fuel pump on my 1961 Sedan deVille  failed last year on the way home from an out of state car show and it cost $150 to tow it 3 miles to a small town repair shop.  A flatbed truck coming out on a Sunday afternoon is not cheap!     I carry a spare OEM rebuilt fuel pump now.  The "new" one was crap and the modern fuel ate right thru it.

7gen

I just did a 6500 mile trip last month, down Route 66 and back to the Northeast in my 1976 Eldorado.

I bought a socket set, a set of box end wrenches, a set of pliers (including wire cutters and needle nose), a set of screwdrivers. I had no intention of replacing a water pump or anything by the side of the road so I didn't carry any bigger tools. For spare parts, I carried a fuel pump, a fuel filter, the ignition coils in the distributor and headlight adjusters (mine are a bit of a problem at times). Last thing - one of those new halon-type fire extinguishers.

My two indispensable items - my smartphone and my Hagerty towing. I used both and blessed the Internet. With these, I was able to get a tow on a flatbed to a safe place where a flat tire was changed for me. I was also able to find well-regarded places to get other items that did the bigger stuff (exhaust work when the cat clogged and eventually, the muffler). I ordered parts that failed from trusted vendors and had them sent ahead of me to places I was staying. Without that smartphone, I'd have had a MUCH harder time of it. Finding someplace to work on the car for the bigger things was actually easy - these cars are really basic compared to cars these days.

Oh, and I brought my shop manual, Fisher guide and Cadillac Tim's AC guides.

My tool bag is a small, canvas bag that takes almost no room in the trunk, which is good because with a full size spare, there is almost no room!!

One thing I wish I had taken with me was a few of the Caddy-length valve stems. When I got a flat, I had put on the spare but wanted to also put a full-size spare back in the trunk. Finding a 235/75/R15 passenger tire was hard enough (had to settle for blackwall) but I also had to use a regular valve stem, which meant that if I ever needed to use the new spare, I couldn't use the wheel cover. I now keep a few spares in the car just in case.

I had my wife order parts (speedo cables, cruise control transducer) from USA Parts as we drove (I used my GPS for a speedometer for a while), find the closest Reilly's for VR1 oil and filter, find a place to weld on a straight pipe after the cat went, find a place to do exhaust work, another place to work on the AC, all while zooming down the road. A smartphone was probably the one item I could not have done without on this trip.

One last thought - more important than tools are the just plain nice folks I met along the way that were more than willing to help me out. The Goodyear manager in Neosho who called all his competitors to find me a tire, Wilkinson Auto in Holbrook who took care of me at 8 AM before his other customers so I could get back on the road, Taflans in Kingman, Seligman Truck and Auto in Seligman, Classic Auto Repair in Napa Valley and Napa Valley Muffler. For all the talk about how this country is declining, the people I met were, without exception, wonderfully helpful and one of the reasons I'll do Route 66 again. You meet such nice people everywhere on that trip!

chrisntam

I don't have a smartphone, I have an old candy bar phone.  I'm resisting the upgrade, but this may help persuade me.

:-\

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

z3skybolt

Yes Mr. Reynolds,

Route 66 is a fantastic trip. My wife and I took two weeks to drive it from Chicago to Pacific Palisades in 2007. But we did it in a little BMW Z-3.  Hardly the challenge that you have described.

One day if I am really brave...we want to repeat the trip in our 1940 LaSalle.  Hopefully our trip will have no greater problems than those which you experienced.  But the car is 36 years older! Sooo.....

Thanks for telling us of your adventure.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

oldcarguy

Bob, what beautiful car! I bet it would make the trip!!!

Don
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

INTMD8

Only been on a few, few hundred mile trips in my 59.  Never brought any tools with but if I went any further I would probably bring some basics.