News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

distributor question

Started by timer2, July 17, 2017, 11:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timer2

Went to tune up my '54 and it turns out the distributor is not from '54. It has the dwell angle adjustment window but still has the oiler tube on the side. The advance weights and springs are on top and the rotor screws to that plate. I didn't put points in it but found the right cap and rotor that looked and fit like the ones I took off.....from a '64. My question is when did Cadillac go to the remote adjustable dwell window and when I buy points, how do the weight and springs come off the top to gain easier  access to the points or is it easier to replace them with the weights in place. I don't  want to buy a '64 or any other manual just to change points.  The car runs and drives perfectly and the 331 is number matching to the car with 124K on it. In 5 years, I have driven the car over 10K miles with no problems. Thanks   T. Irvin

J. Gomez

Quote from: timer2 on July 17, 2017, 11:58:52 AM
Went to tune up my '54 and it turns out the distributor is not from '54. It has the dwell angle adjustment window but still has the oiler tube on the side. The advance weights and springs are on top and the rotor screws to that plate. I didn't put points in it but found the right cap and rotor that looked and fit like the ones I took off.....from a '64. My question is when did Cadillac go to the remote adjustable dwell window and when I buy points, how do the weight and springs come off the top to gain easier  access to the points or is it easier to replace them with the weights in place. I don't  want to buy a '64 or any other manual just to change points.  The car runs and drives perfectly and the 331 is number matching to the car with 124K on it. In 5 years, I have driven the car over 10K miles with no problems. Thanks   T. Irvin

Terry,

I know the setup you have indicated started with the 1956 distributor the centrifugal counter weights are on the top of the shaft and the rotor bolts on to it, the distributor cap has the window to adjust the points dwell. The rotor, cap and points are the same for 1956-1962 models and if I recall even beyond 1962. ???

It could be the previous owner had adapted a late 1956-6X distributor to your 331.  :o

The point gap would be the same for most of the late 195X at 0.016”with a dwell of 26-33 degrees however the vacuum advance would be different for those years.

You may need to check your distributor and see if there is a band around the neck that shows the part #, that way you know which year it belongs. 

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

timer2

Thanks J      I'll look for that number on the distributor next time I have the cap off and out of the way. I found a picture and it shows the number right above the clamp.  T. Irvin

fishnjim

Once you remove the rotor, you can put the points in without taking off the centrifugal weights.   It's a bit of a stretch working on these behemoths, but a good step stool, some good lighting, and some fender covers go a long way.
I'd just buy a Pertronix ignition setup.   Then you won't ever have to mess with points again.   Easy to install.
No one will know.   
If you want to take off the weights, I believe you unhook the springs, and they just lift off.   You can change the weights and change the advance curve but need a distributor machine to do it right.

timer2

Thanks Jim,   if I ever have a problem with anything distributor related, I'll consider the Pertronix fix but the car starts and runs perfectly....cold engine, even after sitting for a month, fires within three or four seconds of cranking and once started for the day, you can't even hear the starter spin....just turn the key and it runs. At my age, the phrase " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has lots of meaning. Thanks again     T. Irvin