News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'73 Coupe de Ville "water" light coming on

Started by cadillac73, July 18, 2017, 08:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac73

Hello all,
My "water" light came on this morning...checked the level and it was a little low so I added some coolant.  Light still comes on, but only at idle or low rpm.  Water appears to be circulating, and it is not overheating.  Could it be a wonky sensor?
Catherine Smith "Cat"
Pittston, ME  USA

1973 Coupe deVille 472
"Solid Gold"

TJ Hopland

The water light is a coolant temp sensor.  Its located under the AC compressor.   Original spec was something like 240* range which is a decent window above the 200-220 these normally run at. 

Making sure there is coolant is a good first step.   Second step would be to get one of those IR temp guns and probe around to see what the coolant temps actually are.  They are pretty cheap now and handy to have around.   You may find they are high and you need to look further into the health of the cooling system.  If they are normal 200-220 then you have a bad sensor or damaged wire.   It runs in the harness on top of the engine along the drivers side so a look there to make sure nothing looks pinched or melted.   If it does turn out to be the sensor you can unbolt the compressor and swing it out of the way without distributing the hoses.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillac73

Thanks very much...I will do as you suggested!!
Catherine Smith "Cat"
Pittston, ME  USA

1973 Coupe deVille 472
"Solid Gold"

TJ Hopland

That tool should work.   Good price too especially if you are a prime member. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason