News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1990 de Ville, trunk pull down is blowing fuses

Started by thubbard, July 24, 2017, 11:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thubbard

The power trunk pull down was working fine but abruptly quit the other day. The fuse was blown, so I replaced it and it blew again. I think I had tapped the black lever that contacts the motor switch.  I wonder why the motor is pulling so much current?  Or could it be a short somewhere?  On the surface everything looks clean as a whistle.

Dave Shepherd

Try and see how many amps the motor is pulling to isolate the problem.

TJ Hopland

Is the switch on that a black plastic cube about an inch and a half square with a plastic lever on the top?    If so those have a lot of contacts jammed in them and over time moisture and wear makes a mess of things so you could have wires crossed in there that normally would not be.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

thubbard

Yes, that's the type of switch.  It's a part that was common to Cadillacs, Buick Park Avenues, and apparently some Camaros and Firebirds.  I'll take a closer look at it, thanks!