News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Floor jack advice

Started by domer, July 24, 2017, 11:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am very careful with jacks. Have two and still bought another system that really makes it safer. Thinking of buying another set as well, with extended hydraulic hoses, so I can drive the car up on all four ramps and lift it high up in the air and then slowly lower down on jack stands.

Biggest advantage with these ramps are the control. With a jack its very difficult to lower the car with fractions of an inch. These ramps you can basically lower millimeter by millimeter. Feels very safe compared to using the jack where it feels like the car is "bumping" on the jack stands.

No idea why the pictures get upside down. They are correct in my computer, but not on the website

craig-o

Try Lazzar's Floor Jack and Hydraulic Cylinder Repair Center: http://www.hcrcnow.com/
You can shop by brand, or by part type (caster, for example.)  They had a torsion spring for my 3-ton Craftsman jack, even though Sears and Craftsman have both discontinued the part.  As long as you have the old part and can check measurements, they'll probably have a caster to fit.
Craig Rodenberger
San Jose, CA
1955 Coupé deVille
1955 Jaguar XK140 OTS

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

Opinions on floor jacks vary widely.

I've had a Hein Werner 2 1/2 ton jack since 1978. It started to leak down when I used it so had it rebuilt - three times, which did not fix the problem.

So recently after investigating hydraulic jacks I decided once again to go with the Hein Werner HW 93652 3 ton jack. This has a wide heavy base and is heavy duty... It can be rebuilt which is a plus.

The bad news is it is expensive. A little less than $500.00 with free shipping.

But I don't believe in taking chances. The other jacks might work fine on rice rockets but on my '56 or the '53 or even the 38 limo I am not interested in taking chances.

Than my friends is my opinion.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

SixDucks

''The bad news is it is expensive. A little less than $500.00 with free shipping''.....
This is still considerably cheaper than a visit to the ER.
Always buy the best in quality when it comes safety equipment.  You should ALWAYS support the load you are under with stands as well, unless you can bench press your car.
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

bcroe

I don't trust anything that might slip or fall over, like jack stands.  Finally I
decided to move and did this.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Wish I could, but I would have to lift the house about 6 feet off the foundations.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CadillacRob

I have a sears 3 ton that does the job fine.  Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't release as smooth or slow as others I've used.   The shop I occasionally work at uses harbor freight Jack's.  They do the job as well as my Sears if not better.   

Not only do I use jack stands but once it's secure on them I put the jack under where I originally lifted and snug it up against there just for good measure.  I don't like to mess around under vehicles.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville