News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Timing Cover/Oil Pan Leak

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, July 29, 2017, 05:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Hello,
Finally got to do a couple of runs. Ended up with heavy leaks at the front of the engine but only after running for about 10 minutes each time. Seems dry at first and then I can just watch it drip. It is coming from the front right side. My guess is front oil pan gasket, front seal or timing chain cover. It is just hard to tell. The back of the balancer is dry so I would think the leak is behind that.
I did drop and replace the pan before we ran it so I very well may have boogered up the gasket, however it leaking from only 1 side is puzzling. And the fact that it takes 10 minutes to start to leak is also puzzling. It is almost like something fills up to a certain point before it starts leaking-like it fills up inside the front cover. I was able to tighten the right side timing bolts but I was only able to get to 3. The left side is behind the radiator hose and as much as I fought to get it on I haven't taken it off yet.
I am unable to find good pictures of the timing cover so I can't see how it attaches along the bottom. Does anyone have any pictures or suggestions? Hate to drop the pan again if I don't have to.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

CadillacRob

Sounds like it needs to be snugged up, and done in x pattern where possible.  Heat/cool cause expanding and contracting.  Run it some, then snug it more.  Not tight tight, just medium/firm with one hand.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Bob Kielar

Here are some pictures of when I had the engine out of my 55.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Ok, thanks. Looks like the timing cover doesn't bolt down low other than the 1 bolt under the locating pin. Did you have the front pan gasket sticking forward at all to meet up with it or was it just flush with the lip of the pan?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille