News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 eldorado convertible grinding noise while driving

Started by 76 cadillac bob, July 30, 2017, 10:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76 cadillac bob

I was driving about 60 miles, got off freeway, heard a sound like rubbing and something small metal drop off from under the front end of the car. Then a grinding sound. Brakes work perfect, steers perfect, transmission shifts normally, thought of wheel bearings but no wobble or bearing noise. Just had the CV boot and componants replaced/repaired. Suspect this is the culprit. The grinding is pulsing and picks up speed the faster I go. At one point I thought I would be stranded it made the car shake when coming off a stop light. Also it started as a squeek then advanced to noise then the grind. It is metal to metal. I am limping to the very reliable mechanic I have used for this car as it is under warranty. Car ran great at 70MPH. Any ideas?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Bob,
You have a lot of rotating machine3ry under the front end of your car.  The first thing I would check would be the half shafts right side support and CV joints.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76 cadillac bob

I am thinking the CV joint is the problem as it was just redone. Under warranty.  I will pass this along to my mechanic and drive slowly to his shop.

TJ Hopland

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76 cadillac bob

Greetings all, well, you should have seen the WHEEL BEARINGS.... mechanic took pictures, that was noise, it was indeed metal to metal passenger side was bent and missing some so was drivers side, CV joint was shot from being dry too long before fixed,  So...two new front axles, wheel bearings which had to be "pressed" to work and $700.00 later it is perfect. All was original and of course no one maintained this car very well prior to my acquisition.  I am now getting all new tie rods, upper lower ball joints, pitman arm, control arm bushings and links replaced. After 40 years they were the original and totally shot. Very dangerous. Remember, these cars are front wheel drive, extremely heavy and if one component breaks, it could cause a serious wreck.  My advise to anyone, be sure to check your suspension and all components for wear...  I was very lucky,  my mechanic is doing a wonderful job his pictures are great learning tools. My car has had so much replaced it is better than new. Remember...its the passion for these cars that counts. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations.

Don't forget to check the brakes, as bad bearings will allow excessive slop in the rotational and sideways movement of the discs, which will also affect the pads.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76 cadillac bob

Absolutely, thanks for the advise, we will make sure there are no issues with brakes or anything else for that matter.