News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What year Northstar?

Started by gross707, August 03, 2017, 08:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gross707

I am considering the purchase of a later Eldorado (need fwd) but have heard less than glowing reviews of the Northstar.  My question then is is the later Northstar an engine that can be considered reliable and problem free?  If so, in what model year(s) did it become so? 
If, on the other hand the NS is just a problem waiting to happen, then which 80's Eldo should I buy if reliability and minimal "fixing" are my concerns?
Thanks,
Gerald
Gerald Ross

smokuspollutus

Gerald, I was in the same boat as yourself. Have a mid 80s car and wanted something newer. The last Eldos were really growing on me so I was planning to do what we did back when the 80s cars were around as cheap used cars, buy one and do some work on it to have a really nice car for very little money. I watched as a friend went down the northstar road in a '99 Deville and it quickly became apparent that there is not much of anything I can fix on that series, would need  to pay a shop big bucks to keep it running.

If you're talking serviceability and reliability, the 88-89 Eldo has the TBI 4.5 which was about as good as they came. Unfortunately now they're 30 years old and will have lots of other problems outside of the engine because of that (hence the reason I wanted to supplant my 1984 with a much newer Cad). In short, in 2017 it's next to impossible to get into any Eldorado and rack up the miles without having a constant maintanence/fixing project.

Good luck!

76eldo

Northstars from 93-2005 are all subject to the failing threads in he block that allows the heads to lose torque and start leaking compression gasses into the cooling system. They also have sealing problems in the lower crankcase.

06-07 and up are much better.

As far as 80's years try for an 80'or 81.
After 82 the HT4100 was used and we all know about them.

I have owned many of these cars and can go into detail on the problems with them.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Carl Fielding

HI Gerald ! The one you need is the somewhat rare '92 Eldo Touring Coupe. All '92 Eldos have the 4.9. The '93 Touring Coupe went to the N.S. , and the 4T80E trans. They are time bombs. If you can find a very low mileage 21st Century ETC , it might be worthwhile driving it for a few score thousand miles , and incorporate "the fix" when the time comes. They are astonishing cars , comfortable , fast , and with Stabilitrac 2 , great handling and safe. Worth fixing when the time comes. There very good deals on these 15+ year old ETCs , now at the bottom of the price curve. I have a fair amount of experience with my recommendations. As always , I welcome calls from all members , and would love to talk to you. By the way , l am impressed with your "need" for FWD !    408-621-8261 ,  -  Carl

CadVetteStang

Quote from: gross707 on August 03, 2017, 08:03:23 AM
I am considering the purchase of a later Eldorado (need fwd) but have heard less than glowing reviews of the Northstar.  My question then is is the later Northstar an engine that can be considered reliable and problem free?  If so, in what model year(s) did it become so? 
If, on the other hand the NS is just a problem waiting to happen, then which 80's Eldo should I buy if reliability and minimal "fixing" are my concerns?
Thanks,
Gerald

Gerald, the last generation Eldorado was 1992-2002.  While it is true that all 92 Eldorados had the very reliable 4.9, the base model 1993 Eldorado also had the 4.9 and fortunately, most came with the Sport Appearance Package which included the same analog tach, speedometer, console shifter and quad exhaust tips that came on the N* powered touring coupes. The only exterior differences were; chrome grille on the base, body-color on the touring coupe, and driving lights on the touring coupe.
93 had several improvements over the 92 which inherited the suspension from the previous generation. All 93's had the uneven length dual A-Arm rear independent suspension which really stabilized the car and gave it the sport handling that the last generation was known for. 93 up also got a plastic gas tank that was more safe in a major collision (and held at least 1 more gallon of gas). 93 up also had stainless steel exhaust.
Base model cars had non-electronic suspensions by default, but the electronic touring suspension was an option so check for that before you buy. Non-electronic= $100 per front strut to replace while electronic units can cost over $200 each.

There was a body appearance improvement that went from 95-02 involving the front and rear bumpers and side skirts (which included driving lights). You could get a 93 base, bolt on the 95 up bumpers, skirts and 97-02 ETC/ESC style grille and have the combo that I am itching to build.
Interior wise, changing the column to one that has the later model steering wheel would be an improvement.

As far as Northstars go, until they get "the fix", they are oil leakers that will one day pull head bolts and blow head gaskets (85,000-150,000 miles at random no matter how hard or soft you drive). I parked mine a year ago to redesign and build a racing suspension for it. Now it leaks so bad that I have to get it repaired before it is a road car again. A local and reputable shop will install the inserts, over-sized head bolts, a new water pump, all gaskets and seals for $2300. (that includes engine removal and installation. Once this is done. You have a VERY reliable and very STRONG engine that was designed to be driven in a spirited manor. One of their customers had his engine fixed at 180,000 miles and has had no trouble with it for years. That car/engine now has 436,000 miles and has the normal Northstar oil consumption of 1 Qt per 2500 miles (which they have when new). They are built with race car tolerances and use less oil when you drive with a heavy foot.
My 02 is a very fun car and though it is the ESC base, I've clocked 0-60 in 6.8 seconds.
The 4.9 cars are faster 0-20
The Y-motor N* is faster 0-40
The 9-motor N* is fastest 0-60
Northstar Eldorados accelerate the fastest from 40-80 and will out run any stock 80's 5.0 Mustang in that speed range.
Hope that helps,
Cody
Current: 02 Eldorado ESC [autocross suspension/ 18" Mustang Bullitt wheels, 14" rotors, C5 Vette calipers (under construction)] "Battlecar Cadillactica II"

Former: 82 Eldorado (engine swap TBI injected 472 on stock 4 speed trans. 16" Trans Am wheels, rear racing springs)  "Cadinator"

1st car: 70 Eldorado ( SCCA autocross in 1987/88 stock class) " Battlecar Cadillactica"