News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Starter relay vs. solenoid differential diagnosis

Started by vttinkerer, August 03, 2017, 11:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vttinkerer

My 1940 series 60 refused to start the other night, far from home. No audible solenoid click. Plenty of battery for horn and lights. Had to push start to get home. Today the start button (switch) checks out-- hot power in, switched power out. No starter action, though, no click.

From the symptoms I suspect the starter relay. Looking at the relay and the book, I see two wires. The front one has a red tracer and I think comes from the switch. The other wire I assume goes to the generator to prevent "locking o" of the starter when the engine has started. Jumping to the front (red tracer) wire does nothing. Have not yet cleaned the connection at the switch and relay and starter but will do that later today.

Asking for advice in differentiating between solenoid and relay failure. Does the relay come off independently? Can I then jumper to the a solenoid terminal with a a big cable?

Thanks,

Dan Wing

When I know what part has failed

Bill Ingler #7799

Dan:  Over the years I have had two no starts, one on a 41 and the other on a 47. Both times it was a bad relay inside the solenoid. Here is a good info read on the operation of the solenoid. The next is a picture of the solenoid unit which is probably the one on your starter. Inside the solenoid you will find the relay which is the next picture. Not hard to separate the relay from the solenoid but finding a NOS relay is a big problem. Now last picture is a 46-48 solenoid and the difference is the location of the 2 connections for the relay. 46-48 are on the back of the solenoid while 42 and back connections were on the side so make sure if you find a relay that your getting the correct relay for your solenoid.   Bill

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

jackworstell

The relay built into the solenoid.....since it is very difficult to find a replacement ....could it not be replaced with a similar (electrically)
external relay ?  ( external to the solenoid )

Jack Worstell