News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac turn signal canceling

Started by SCDAWG73, August 06, 2017, 09:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDAWG73

Hey guys, new to the forum. I just took ownership of a 61 Deville and have been fixing things here an there. One thing that needed fixing was the turn signal cam which had broken into 2 pieces. I spot welded it back together, works like a charm now. That said, I noticed the cam doesn't seem to have a self-canceling mech so I have to flip it off every time I signal for a turn. What I'm trying to figure out is if I'm missing a piece or if the 61 didn't have self-canceling signals. Anyone know if the 61 should have self-canceling signals? Any insight is appreciated!

I've attached a pic of my setup. Personally I don't think the signals self-cancel ( don't see how or by what method), but I'd like to know if I'm correct in my assessment.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The self-cancelling consists of the lumpy thing that you welded up, and the spring on the opposite side that consists of one lumpy bit in the centre of the long flat, slightly arched spring.

As the steering column is turned, the "lumpy" thing on the steering shaft strikes against the top spring, and this moves the switch to turn it off.

The two pieces have to be in alignment for them to work.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I may be completely wrong, so I will go and have a look at a couple I have here, but they are not Cadillac parts, but other GM Brands.   They should be similar.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David Greenburg

I have not had occasion to open up my '61, but it certainly does have self-cancelling turn signals.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

SCDAWG73

Ok thanks for the info guys! I guess I need to tinker with mine a bit more.