News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1963 cadillac fleetwood windshield wipers stuck in up position

Started by Tonyv_73, August 10, 2017, 09:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyv_73

My windshield wipers are stuck up, so much so that they go off the windshield when off,

Help?
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition
1991 Brougham
1993 Eldorado 4.9
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
2006 XLR
2006 DTS
2014 XTS

Roger Zimmermann

I don't have the answer to your problem but, if needed, I have 2 1963-64 wiper motors for sale!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Do they stop in that position all the time, as in do they go to that position when you turn the switch to off.

What happens when you turn them off when the blades are low down?

Sounds like a problem with the Parking part of the motor if they stop anywhere when you turn them off.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillac ken

if they just stop where they are when you turn them off at the switch then there is a problem with the "park" in the motor.  I have been able to take the motor apart and clean and adjust the points that kick in and signal a park of the wipers.  Not always a for sure, but I have fixed that problem before in the motor.  Most times the park circuit provides a ground which allows the wipers to park.  But in some instances in older cars, the switch itself will provide the ground to the motor to enable park when the switch is turned to the off position.

Now if they just stop where they are when you turn off the ignition and shut off the engine, then that's normal.

savemy67

Hello Anthony,

As Bruce and Ken suggest, your problem may be with the Park function of the wiper motor.  Not knowing anything else, your problem could be with the position of the wiper arms on the transmissions.  You may want to consider obtaining a shop manual for your year Cadillac, if you haven't already done so.  The manual will provide a diagnostic process as well as repair instructions.  You could purchase another motor, such as one offered by Roger.  You could contact Cadillac Tim in South Carolina to exchange yours for a rebuilt motor.  You could also Google 6364 Cadillac and search the website maintained by Jason Edge to see if there is any info posted regarding the '63 wiper motor.  Good luck.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop