News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Would love to get some opinions on potential purchase price

Started by bigbry13, August 17, 2017, 10:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbry13

Hey all. Relatively new here and wanted to get some advice on a potential purchase. There is a 1956 fleetwood 60 special 4 door sedan local to me that I really like. Seems to be a super original car with a great body and a nice Interior that just needs a good cleaning. Has factory air that works, autronic eye, power windows etc... I haven't driven it yet but hope to test it out. 'Motor seems to run strong and it shows about 90k miles. They're asking 14k. Wondering if that's In the ballpark for a 4 door or if it's too much, or perhaps too low. I'm more of a Chevy guy so new to cadillacs!
Bryan

76eldo

I am not that well versed in values for a 56 but $14K for a collectible car from the 50's that looks good, runs well and has working AC seems reasonable.  And you say "asking $14K" so the door is open to make an offer at a lower price.

The coupes are a bit flashier than 4 doors and usually sell quicker and get better prices, BUT with a Cadillac the Fleetwood has a lot of appeal over the standard 4 door sedan.

Sounds like a decent car so let us know how the test drive goes and maybe a few photos?

I am sure someone else will have some advice for you here.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillac ken

If you like it and feel it's a price you can live with then it's the car for you.  However, it is a buyers market right now.  Many advertised prices are based on what the seller is seeing "advertised" and not what actually is selling.  May be worth making an offer on it.  And as was stated by Brian, 4drs, even Fleetwoods, seem to play second fiddle to the coupes and convertibles of the same year.

It's important to realize that whatever you pay for what appears to be a nice car is far less than you will spend on buying a car in "need" and making it into the car you want.

The fact that it is local is a big advantage.  I recently embarked on an adventure, as I call it, to purchase a "new" car.  I have flown to PA from FL only to pass on the car.  Also have spent $$ on PPI's since the model I'm buying is not easily found and I could not find any candidates here in FL.  So there's that too.  It all adds up and reality is that these expenditures are rolled into the purchase price of the car you finally buy.

Good Luck, do your homework, and take your time.  As I said, I firmly believe it's a buyers market and the risk of losing out is probably minimal.  In my recent quest I never was confronted with an alternate buyer chomping at the bit to buy the car out from under me.  After studying the market for months I realized that examples of the make and model I was considering were all still available for months-- and indeed the car I ultimately bought was a 4 week endeavor.  I never felt the threat of losing the deal.

jdemerson

It seems an excellent price for a Fleetwood as nice as what you described. If there are things wrong with it that are expensive to repair, then of course that could change the story. But the 1956 Fleetwood as you described it is a very attractive model. Good luck!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If the original air conditioning system is working, that's impressive in itself.

Would be in a much better position to render meaningful advice with some high quality detail pictures.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bob Schuman

Bryan,
When you test drive the car pay particular attention to how the transmission works. That was the first year for the controlled coupling four speed Hydra-Matic, and there were lots of early problems. Many were rebuilt very early in their life with revised parts and then were very good transmissions. A car with 90000 miles probably has had any transmission problems corrected long ago, but I just want to make you aware of this possible problem area. The 1-2 and 3-4 shifts should be almost undetectable, the 2-3 shift also being very smooth but not as smooth as the others. Obviously, there should also be no bad noises from the transmission, or you will be looking at an expensive repair, with persons competent on this gearbox not readily found.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Dan LeBlanc

Bryan . . . you have an email from the moderators that requires your attention.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

harvey b

Definetly have it looked at on a hoist,5 minutes under there can tell you a lot about the car,it may not be perfect but you will know what to expect,rust is very hard and expensive to repair,have someone else with you to get a second opinion too.Price dos not sound out of line,you might get lucky ;D Harvey
Harvey Bowness

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I drove one of these for several years as a daily driver. Nice car, but do check on the tranny. I drove mine 40 miles around Indy the first day I had it and ended up at AAMCO. The guy had been buying transmission fluid by the case and running it through the transmission and never told me. And I had not checked the trunk yet where there was the remains of a case.

One war story about this car. I found a NOS rear fender "spear." My twisted imagination thought that it would be a perfect Agatha Christie murder weapon. Stick it through the victim and then put it on your car. See if Nero Wolfe or Hercule Peirot could find THAT sword.. 

Maybe Clive Cussler's hero could have. He has old cars.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

James Landi

I have owned two '56 Cadillacs--- they are durable, powerful, and, if the car is in reasonably good shape, a joy to drive on the highway. However,  there are engineering "issues" along with the "jet away" transmission.  As both my cars got up in accumulated mileage, they developed significant engine "blow by"--- and the hydrocarbons would work up through car's body-- at stop lights or in heavy traffic, even with a great functioning A/C, I would have to open the window because of the fumes (not-with-standing the two fresh air inlets on the trunk).  Additionally, the muffler systems have relatively short service lives--- (two mufflers /two resonators and a lot of exhaust plumbing ending in the rear bumper, where the bumper "stove piping" rots out and the bumper deteriorates from the inside out.  Other engine issues. as follows: an inefficient and partially blocked radiator will cause the exhaust valves to burn--compression rings (i.e. engine rebuild) can be expected as mileage accumulates beyond 120K  ( you'll detect blue smoke out of the exhaust--)  ALl of these issues can and should be detected before you purchase the car.  A brief test drive may not reveal some of the more subtle  yet costly concerns that occur, even with a relatively low mileage well kept car