News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

70 Deville Seat Belt Pass-Through

Started by klinebau, August 19, 2017, 09:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klinebau

I have a 1970 Deville convertible that did not have the front seat belts installed when purchased.  I have new seat belts but I cannot figure out how the passenger-side receptacle gets routed through the seat.  The retractors are installed and the ends with the receptacles are bolted to the drive shaft tunnel, but here does not appear to be any type of pass through to allow the belt to get to the front seat on the passenger side.  It is not a problem on the drivers side since the belt can slip between the divider for the 60/40 split bench, but I cannot figure out the passenger side.  I suspect my seats may have been recovered at some time and were possibly made without the pass-through.  Would anyone with a similar vehicle be able to describe or post a picture of how the belts are routed?
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

chrisntam

First of all, I say "Lucky" for having the split bench seat, otherwise knows as "dual comfort seats".

I have a full bench in my car, I looked on the passenger side right under where the arm rest pivots.  There is a white plastic "retainer"  or "guide" that the seat belt goes through.  If you have the arm rest in the up position and spread out the back rest from the seat cushion, it can be seen.

You may be right that since the seats have been recovered and there were no seatbelts, they may not have reinstalled it.

I'll post pics later this afternoon, I have to head out right now.

Did I mention that I'm envious that you have the dual comfort seats?

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Here are some pics.  You can barely see the white plastic on the last pic, it is taken from below.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Here are some better pics when I had the interior apart.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, wish I had seen those when I had to retrofit seat belts to a '69 SDV that had been reupholstered, and the upholsterer had discarded the plastic pieces.

I created a sleeve in the actual upholstery, and fed that through the cushioning.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

klinebau

Thank you for the pictures.  My seats definitely do not have that part and are completely covered over in that area.  I guessing that I will have to cut the material in order to get the seat belt through.  I am planning to get the seats recovered at some point so it would be more of a "temporary" fix.  The dual comfort seats are nice, but I am quite jealous as I have a lot further to go than in the restoration path.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI