News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Fleetwood Climate Control

Started by fellenzer, August 19, 2017, 03:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fellenzer

Hi,

Recently acquired a '76 Fleetwood with Climate Control System. After reading the service manual, I see many routes for troubleshooting which I will undertake. In the meantime, is there a way to simply bypass or force the system to simply send air to the dash vents? AC working; however, climate controls not working. Nothing happens when changing temperature and air only blows to the floor. Had it at the mechanic to replace a caliper and he only had time to get as far as a vacuum/pressure test of the cooling system. Didn't seem to have any leaks and so far is producing freezing air after being charged. He did say that the heater temperature control didn't seem to be working. Ran out of time and he knew I wanted the car back for the weekend. Blower will blow at high or low on those settings and on high when in auto, bi-level, defrost or economy.

I see many references to removing the glove box to access some controls. This car has ACRS and I really don't want to touch that system as it seems to be operating. At least the telltale light is operating as discussed in the service manual.

This is a 28K car. Generally in very nice overall condition. Well optioned including EFI and ACRS. Purrs like a kitten. Drives like a dream.

Equipped with Illuminated Entry, Fuel Economy Monitor and Theft Deterrent, also not working.

Thanks.
Michael Fellenzer, #30007
Indianapolis, IN
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1976 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham (EFI, ACRS)
1976 Coupe deVille (Astro/Cabriolet)
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1993 Sixty Special (Ultra)
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX

cadillactim

First you can unplug the ambient sensor on the evaporator case and connect the two wires with a jumper wire. See if system goes to full air. If not, unplug electrical and vacuum connectors at programmer. Remove cover and unplug short vacuum line with yellow stripe going to vacuum motor and plug the vacuum line. Replace cover, reconnect electrical and vacuum connectors. System will be in full a/c mode, high fan.

Tim
Tim Groves

fellenzer

Michael Fellenzer, #30007
Indianapolis, IN
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1976 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham (EFI, ACRS)
1976 Coupe deVille (Astro/Cabriolet)
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1993 Sixty Special (Ultra)
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX