News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 front spring removal

Started by 55 ledsled, August 20, 2017, 11:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 ledsled

Hello,
I am in need of some new springs on my 55 cadillac 4dr. Can anyone give me instructions on how to do this? I have never done this with this style of front end. I am also going to order 2" drop springs instead of the factory height springs. I will be changing out my rear leafs as well to 2" drop. Any instruction on the front springs would be helpful. Thanks and always appreciated!

Bob Kielar

Did you try the Modified Cadillac forum ?

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

55 ledsled

Everyone always says try the modified forum... WHERE THE HELL IS THE MODIFIED FORUM??? This forum is awesome in helping out people like me, but from a technical person who designs websites and works in IT, I have to say that this forum is out of date and hard to use. Just my opinion... Thanks though

marty55cdv

I would think you being the tech guy would know about Google....  http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

fishnjim

Should be in the shop manual.   Get one.
But you'll have to jack stand up car, take off the shocks, and jack under the a-frame, and split(pickle fork) the lower ball joints open.   Leave partially nutted so things don't fly.  Take the nut off and slowly let down the a-frame.  If not sure, get someone to do.  Potential for danger.

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't think so, as there would be no way to get it in and remove the spring as the upper socket is in the way, and the lower A Arm is also in the way.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

5390john

Do NOT take this on without the shop manual handy. 2 ways to do this job, 1) jack up the very tip of the lower a-member to take the weight off the upper a arm and then undo the vertical spindle support, or 2) set 2 jack stands under the differential and set 2 jack stands at the tip of each front lower a arm. The weight of the car will then compress the coils enough to undo the upper a arms, and then raise the front of the car enough to take the weight of the car off of the lower front a arms and then remove the coils.
BTW, this is a dangerous job. If the coils slip, they will release their energy instantly, and you don't want to be in the way. They could kill you. !!!
BTW, this front suspension has king pins, not ball joints.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I am removing the front springs like this, I always thread a reasonable sized chain through the internals, so that if it does let go, the spring, that is, the chain will keep it from flying too far away.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Secure each end of the chain with sufficient length free to allow for the movement.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

55 ledsled

Lol thanks guys. Its funny that when you post something that might have a slight mod in it, that everybody jumps all over you to go to the modified site. The removal of the spring is no different no matter what size spring is in it, so why should it make a difference what site we are on? I know how to use my lift to get the springs out, but was wondering how it unbolted because it does have kingpins and not ball joints. I have never done anything with kingpins being a greenhorn here. Do you just unscrew the top or bottom bolts around the bushings that have the grease fittings? Do I need to worry about having to replace the bushings after removing them? Any help would be great.
Thanks much!

Caddy Wizard

I have always viewed there to be two ways to do it.  Both involve using a chain looped around the spring as a safety device (if the spring comes loose suddenly, the stored energy in the spring can definitely kill a person).  Okay, so the two approaches i have used are: 1.  undoing the lower A-arm at the outer pin; and 2. undoing the lower A-arm at the inner shaft by unbolting the inner shaft from the frame crossover.  Both approaches involve using a floor jack to lower the free end of the A-arm once it is loosened from its attachment point.  I find it a bit easier to unbolt the four large bolts at the inner shaft rather than applying the huge amount of torque involved in removing and reinstalling the outer lower pin. 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jay Friedman

I wrote an article with tips on how to do it by Art Gardner's method #1, which is undoing the lower A-arm at the outer pin.  If anyone is interested send me your postal mail address by email at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com and I'll snail mail you a copy.  (Sorry, but I can't email it as my email provider considers it too large.)  Also, I'll be away from home at the CLC Fall Festival over the weekend, so can't mail anything till next Tuesday.

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

J. Gomez

Quote from: 55 ledsled on September 20, 2017, 12:07:26 PM
Lol thanks guys. Its funny that when you post something that might have a slight mod in it, that everybody jumps all over you to go to the modified site. The removal of the spring is no different no matter what size spring is in it, so why should it make a difference what site we are on? I know how to use my lift to get the springs out, but was wondering how it unbolted because it does have kingpins and not ball joints. I have never done anything with kingpins being a greenhorn here. Do you just unscrew the top or bottom bolts around the bushings that have the grease fittings? Do I need to worry about having to replace the bushings after removing them? Any help would be great.
Thanks much!

Adam,

One reason folks are pointing others to the Modified chapter is not because they have or envision doing mods, folks there do keep their cars stock as well as others with mod. The other reason (since you did not specified on your posts if you have the ’54 and supplemental ’55 Service Manual) is the documentation sections were you can find Shop Manual and other docs that could help any Cadillac owner. BTW there is the ’55 Service Manual Supplemental at the MCLC in case you need take a peak.

I have done my ’56 both ways as Art and Jay show above and found both to be doable. In my case I’ve used a external spring compression tool to hold the spring tension in place (front wheels on the ground) and using step 2 on Art’s post above works best when you jack up the lower “A” arm back to bolt the lower suspension arm shaft back into the frame x-over, less effort for the jack to fight with compressing the spring and one fighting with the lower "A" arm to get the bolts back on.

As with any tools even a screwdriver, one has to use common sense and use them with caution and safety in mind; spring compression tools are ones that can be extremely dangerous so taking an extra step to safeguard they are secure is a must.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

55 ledsled

Thank you sir! I found this in the shop manual. I will follow your directions closely and appreciate the help!

Jay Friedman

Greg, I received your email but mistakenly erased it.   Please re-send it. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."