News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado convertible leaks

Started by BigBlueErnie, August 20, 2017, 04:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlueErnie

Hi Since I have bought my car, 36,000 miles, 1976 Eldorado convertible, I have had a metallic rattle when going over a bump. Thought it was related to brake pads, adjusted them, and it's still there. It seems to me that it stops whenever I apply the brakes. My shop can't come up with anything, and it drives me nuts. I'm not driving some old tin can ! lol.  Any ideas anyone ?
I'm also looking for a good top and glass shop. On two strong recommendations I had my top, all Th rubber seals and multiple other items replaced and upgraded to the tune of over $4,000. The windows didn't leak and only one gave me trouble operating, now they all leak !  The top doesn't stack below the belt line so that I can use my newly purchased parade boot.
My first time back, I couldn't get in for TWO MONTHS because he was working on a job for Ford. I kept my cool, picked up second time, windows are only mildly better and the parade boot still won't fit.
I'm not one to argue with a shop on price nor do I like to when it comes to their work. I trusted the shops they were recommended by, but I just want this fixed. If they couldn't return it to me performing correctly the first time, let alone after a second go at, I have no expectations they would get it right on a third try. I know they are obligated to me for this work.
I live in Riverview, Michigan, which is south of Detroit about 20 miles.
Any referrals to a great all around mechanic and a top and glass shop, will be sincerely appreciated.  Thanks one and all. 
Ernie Hale

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sorry to read that you have experienced what I would regard as very poor workmanship.

Sounds like the people didn't have access to a Body Service Manual, which is the most important item to have at hand when working on anything.   The next bad thing is to not read it.

As for the brake noise, it is virtually impossible to diagnose these problems without being there.

But, the top itself, it is imperative that all the correct dimensions are in place before removing or replacing a top.

These things aren't rocket science, and what might seem a simple adjustment can take multiple times to get right, and involve multiple adjusting points.   Moving one thing will upset another point, and in some cases, it is adviseable to go back to square one.

If the top is not stacking correctly, then that in itself is a major issue.   Don't try and push things or you might end up in worse alignment, and or breaking something.

With such a low mileage vehicle, the top bushings shouldn't have been worn out, nor the mechanical bits out of alignment.

Why did all the rubbers require replacement?   Were they hard and brittle?

Did the shop treat the rubbers to remove the release agent from the surfaces so they didn't retain their "grippy" feeling?   I have installed replacement rubbers, and have found that the glass wants to drag it down with it when the windows are lowered, tearing it from where it is attached.

I am about to replace a top on a '71, and have to do a lot of repairs, adjustment and maintenance to the mechanism, glass, etc before actually removing and replacing the actual top, padding and silencer pad.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

As far as the "metallic rattle" I would check the following:
1) Exhaust system and hangers -- look for potential rub spots and / or
loose, broken or missing hangers.
2) Suspension system - loose shocks (check air shocks in rear!), old or
broken bushings, front stabilizer bars and other front end parts.

It could be a number of different things, but those are the obvious ones
that I would check first.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TJ Hopland

I would not expect the brakes to only rattle on bumps but are the outer pads crimped to the calipers?   Not a lot of pads work like that anymore so maybe who ever installed them didn't do it?

The exhaust is another good thought.   It can get pretty tight for the pipe on the right side down the firewall and around the torsion bars.  How about the cat converter?   I think that has a heat shield  and those are good places to get rattles. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bill Young

I don't know if this will help but when I got my 1972 Eldorado Convertible it had an annoying rattle in the rear , especially when stopped in drive with the brake pressed. Or cornering. I finally got it to stop by putting the car on a lift and greasing up the little lever action parts  that act on the rear axle to signal that the automatic level control should actuate. When dry the joints in it vibrate. I hope this helps.

J. Skelly

Ernie,

A couple of years ago, I took my folks' '89 Riviera to a Safelite shop in Dearborn Heights to have the headliner replaced and to do a windshield chip repair.  Adjacent to the glass area is a trim shop.  The guy, Tom, did a great job.  He was also working on a '75 or '76 Eldo convertible which had a broken backlite.  He explained what he was going to do on that car: new top and rear window, and paint the top bows.  He explained how poorly some of these convertible tops are done by other shops.  He was only working 3 days a week, but it's at least worth a phone call.  It's on the south side of Warren Rd., just west of Beech Daly.  Good luck!

26015 W Warren St
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
Phone number  (866) 904-9472
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

76eldo

If the car jingle jangles down the street and that noise goes away with light brake pressure then your rear pads are loose in the calipers.  They are adjusted when you use the emergency brake so I would activate the brake about 20 times then put it in D and let the vacuum pull off the E brake.  It may tighten things up.

The shoes need to fit securely in the caliper and they make adhesives for that.

As far as the top, unfortunately it's all out of adjustment and you need to take it elsewhere.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)