News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How to disconnect the Autronic Eye

Started by CadillacCheri, August 20, 2017, 05:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacCheri

We just bought a '57 Coupe de Ville- our first Caddy, and our first car with this Autronic thing.  The headlights go off and on rapidly and the interior lights flicker as they do that.  I can't get the headlights to stay on, so we haven't been able to drive it much.  We would just rather disconnect the entire thing and use my headlights like a normal system.  Can anyone explain how to do that?  Thanks!

savemy67

Hello Cheri,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on acquiring your '57 - a very good looking year.

The Autronic Eye is a feature that, when working correctly, dims the hi-beams when the Eye senses oncoming headlights.  Of course the hi-beams have to be on in order for the Eye to do its job.  Normally, the Eye has no effect when lo-beams are in operation.

You may have one of any number of issues, or a combination of issues since the Eye works with the dimmer (hi/lo beam) switch, the headlight switch, wiring, and headlamps.  I encourage you to get a '57 Cadillac shop manual which will have the wiring diagrams and operational description.  You should be able to disconnect the Eye without crippling the rest of the lighting system - if in fact only the Eye is the issue.  If something else has gone haywire, it really helps to have the manual so you don't make a bad situation worse.  I have a '67, so I can't speak specifically about the '57.

One simple test you can try is to put a dark towel over the sensor lens so that no light enters the sensor.  If the symptoms change, the trouble may be with the sensor.  If covering the sensor lens causes normal operation of the lights to resume, you can use some black vinyl tape to block light from entering the lens.  If the symptoms do not change, the problem may not be corrected merely by disconnecting the Eye.

As for the interior lights flickering, that may be a function of the current flow to the headlamps when they are rapidly cycled on and off.  If I recall correctly, the current goes through the headlamp switch in the dash which also controls the interior lights.  I strongly suggest you get the shop manual and examine the wiring for corroded connections and bad grounds, and do not drive at night until you correct the situation.  Good luck.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Dave Ventresca

I have the same issue with a 53. can anyone tell how to bypass the damn thing so I can use my brights? thanks, Dave

76eldo

If it's like he 59 and 60'models the unit is in the drivers side kick panel.
It plugs into the foot dimmer switch.
You should be able to unplug it redirect the wire to the dimmer.

Shop manuals are a must for working on these cars.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

J. Gomez

Cheri,

Hmm ok you mention they go “on” and “off” rapidly ??? so they do not switch from low beams to high beams and back?

If they just go “off” you may have something connected wrong in the system wiring.
The Autronic-eye option the foot switch change the setup from the standard setup by switching “ground” for the power relay versus the +12V for the standard setup.

The key item to get would be the Shop Manual as Christopher stated about, section 12 would be the electrical section and page 12-35 would cover the Autronic-eye while page 12-46 has the wiring diagram + the Autronic-eye diagram (although you may need a microscope to view it  :D), just in case attaching a better one for normal view.

If you decide in disconnecting the photo-tube (which is the one on the dash) be extremely careful voltage from the amplifier to the photo-tube range in the 800V DC via the shielded wire.  :o

To totally removed the Autronic-eye option and go back to the standard format would require some wiring modifications.  :(

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

The Tassie Devil(le)

Saying they go on and off rapidly, I believe that you have an electrical fault in the light wiring system, and what is happening is the internal circuit breaker within the headlight switch is operating correctly.

What this does is instead of blowing a fuse, leaving you with no lights at all, it cycles the circuit breaker, turning the lights off, and back on, so that you don't lose total illumination on a dark road, allowing you to pull up safely.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CadillacCheri

Thanks everyone.  I will definitely get a shop manual.   ;)

J. Gomez

Quote from: Dave Ventresca on August 20, 2017, 07:42:50 PM
I have the same issue with a 53. can anyone tell how to bypass the damn thing so I can use my brights? thanks, Dave

Dave,

I do not have one for the 1953 model  :( I do have the 1954.

So if both are the same you could try removing the shielded wire going to the photo tube (dash unit) from the amplifier (red cross), the connectors would be inside the cabin (again be very careful with these connection in your case the voltage would be around 600V AC, make sure to insulate them).

This would stop the photo tube operation for the amplifier to switch the headlights. However if the amplifier is malfunction you may need to do more surgery to disable it.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

35-709

If the lights are actually going on and off rather than a rapid hi-beam, low-beam, I tend to agree with Bruce.  There may be an electrical short causing the circuit breaker in the headlight switch to kick in and out.

Pretty car!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Roger Zimmermann

The two cars I still have are equipped with the Autronic eye, totally not suitable for the driving conditions in my country. The Brougham was easy to return to the normal usage of the lights: I just unplugged the large box located into the trunk.
On the '56 Biarritz, I just disconnected one wire at the foot switch; it was a very long time ago and I don't remember which one. Your '57 system is very similar, you will have to try...
The rapid on-off could be the light switch bimetal which with the age became too sensitive.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Glen

If the lights are actually cycling between high and low beam it may be working normally.  If there is something in front of the car reflecting the headlights back to the photo sensor.  The object may be a reflective sign or the like.      With the lights in low beam there is not enough reflection to keep them in low so they go to high.  Then the refection is enough to trigger the system to low.  If the eye is aimed too high it can also do that. 
I have had that happen with my Guide-Matic the successor to the Autronic Eye.  I have found with all the reflective signs center line reflectors etc. the system is basically useless. It always stays in low.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I believe the headlamp circuit is protected by a relay rather than a fuse. I suspect either the relay is failing or there is a short somewhere in the circuit.

I agree with the others who have said this issue is unrelated to the Autronic Eye because the symptom of the headlights cycling off/on as opposed to cycling between high and low beams.

Bottom line - do not start tampering with the Eye until the issue is correctly diagnosed!
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

C Gorgas

I had the same problem and the Autronic Eye is a nuisance.  The person who knows and can give you a real easy fix is Craig at McVey's Cadillac Parts in the Kansas City area. The disconnect is real simple and occurs at the box under the hood. Probably takes about 5 minutes to disable and not ruin any thing in the car; you can go back to original at any time if you want. Give him a call. Chet 25441

V63

The headlight cycling off and on is the headlight thermal breaker within the headlight switch.

I have had this problem a few times before. Often caused by high resistance.

1) First check the floor dimmer switch, high failure rate.

2) check for clean grounds and all connections.

3) finally, The headlight switch needs to be removed and soaked in an acid solution to clean corrosion. I Lubricate it too. There is an interference connection to the 'dimming' rheostat...this is usually a particular problem spot.

If you chose to disconnect the autronic eye, remove heavy red wire at floor switch.