News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

maintaining weatherproofing gaskets

Started by James Landi, August 21, 2017, 08:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

I suspect that, as is the case with many automotive materials, weather proofing materials around doors and windows have an inherent service life.  What is the best treatment for extending those important, yet often overlooked components?   Are there treatments that extend the service life or is any spray-on or coating simply a waste of time and dollars?   Appreciate your advice,   James Landi

Daddio

I use a silicon spray on my rubber door seals. It makes them more slippery and prevents the rubber from sticking to the metal body which otherwise, may cause the seals to pull and tear. I also believe (and this may be my imagination) it reduces squeaks and road noise.
The down side is if you ever intend to paint the car, even the slightest amount of silicon would be disastrous.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

fishnjim

Depending on the year, it's a lot of rubber based materials, and they just get hard and crack on exposure/aging.  Keep it garaged and avoid sun and temperature extremes.
There's good and bad evidence on using silicone spray on weatherstrips, but I think it helps if done since new.   Apply to rag and wipe on rubber, don't spray on the car.   Make sure you use the right silicone spray.  Regardless, these claims of restoring rubber with wintergreen oil etc, are just re-swelling old rubber, and won't actually restore to original.   Replace is the best and avoid exposure.  Heat and cold are enemies of rubber.   The later silicone based rubbers are much more serviceable.
PS: If silicone (oil) or any other contaminate isn't removed, it'll affect the paint adhesion and finish, but with proper preparation, should not be an issue.  Helps to know if it was used so you don't overlook.   After wet sand(use a dash of detergent in water), always wipe down with prepsol turning the rag and tack.   If not completely clean, you'll know it in the primer coat and will have time to correct.

jdemerson

I have used Meguire's Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner on a 25-year old Miata every year since new. All rubber parts are as new -- soft and pliable. It comes in a spray plastic bottle, but I spray a rage and wipe all rubber and vinyl parts with the rag. I am also using it on the Cadillac, but did not begin with a new car.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn