News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

73 eldorado question

Started by kkkaiser, August 22, 2017, 11:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkkaiser

Hi again,, heater and ac working good, took the car to Victor Id for the eclipse  (4 hour drive) No problems,
had a tour in the park, was in the car 12 hours,, no problems,, thank goodness,  car seems to do ok on longer rides,

my question is,, does the eldorado need to be greased like the older ones,  ?  i know my 63 needs it as part of maintenance, but never considered maybe this one does too,,

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Yes, the '73 needs greased like any other car of the era.

There are zerk fittings on the front upper / lower ball joints,
steering linkage, etc.  Haven't done it for awhile so I don't
remember all of them.

I don't drive my '73 much but when I change oil, those fittings get
greased.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

kkkaiser

Ok,  good,  thanks for the info. 

TJ Hopland

Apparently 73 Cadillacs had 'extended life' front suspension components that 'should not require repacking throughout their entire service life under normal driving conditions'.     My 73 only has grease fittings on the lower ball joints and I think the iddler arm which are both items I replaced over the last 20 years.    The upper joints and tie rod ends just have a nut cap looking thing where the grease fitting should be.   I presume these are original and still have signs of grease oozing out the boots.   I also presume I could remove those caps and install fittings but just have not been that curious over the last 20 years. 

I have tangled with quite a few 71-78  Eldos and don't recall noticing the lack of fittings on anything other than the 73's so either that was a short lived concept or those components got replaced or got fittings installed.   Most of them are like the 73 I have had for over 20 years now where they only seem to need lower joints and wheel bearings.    I have seen a couple fairly high mileage cars that looked to still have original upper joints and tie rods.   All the stress must be in the lower joints on these things. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Yes, the lower ball joints take a beating on these.  Mine are original
(I bought the car new) but I have only 48K miles on it.

The lower joints have a built in "wear indicator".  If you cannot get the
nozzle of the grease gun on the zerk fitting (due to the fitting sitting too low
in the joint) then the joint should be replaced.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region