News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Torque setting for 1927 303 LaSalle Engine Nuts

Started by Bill Bickle 15098, September 01, 2017, 02:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bickle 15098

Bringing my '27 LaSalle out of storage after 10 years. Want to go through and make adjustments.  I cannot seem to find the torque setting for  the 303 engine head nuts.
Help!!

Thanks.

Bill
PS.. Forgot to mention that the nut tightening sequence would be factor as well or is it simply the spirol method inside to outside?.
1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107

Carl Fielding

Hi Bill , I used a conventional pattern sequence in steps up to 55 - 60 ft. lb. on my '27 Cad. As you know , '27 Cad (the last Leland - fork and blade) V8 engine is completely different from the all-new Nacker (offset blocks) V8 used first by LaSalle in '27. However , I would be surprised if there was much , if any , change in torque specs for the head nuts. To give yourself confidence , as you re-torque (or are you replacing the head gaskets ?) , return the nuts to the same angular position they were in , with your torque wrench , after breaking each one loose. The average torque reading from doing each one should give you a good ballpark figure. If you have a few minutes , please let us know a bit more about your LaSalle , and your revival of it ! I hope you are on the road soon !   - Carl

Bill Bickle 15098

Had the car on the road today for a short drive .  Have to get used to non-synchromesh tranny again. Seems to be running fine.  Need to put more miles on it .
1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107