News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Eldorado is it right?

Started by atime, September 18, 2017, 06:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atime

I am interested in this Eldorado    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Cadillac-Eldorado-/253125021317?hash=item3aef6d4e85%3Ag%3A0ckAAOSwAyBZp0Cf&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=74e7CpaarWKSwuQX%252B6IRmM01STw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 on ebay or was it did not sell. It looks good to me except I think it should have the crest on the sail panel?? any advice is appreciated.
thanks,
Martin

G Pennington

Looks to me the shield & crest on the sail panel is where the rear side marker light is supposed to be.
Nice car, though.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

D.Smith

The wood veneer on the doors and dash need to be replaced.  Odd for a 25K mile car.  Plus its been repainted.   It would be nice if they posted a photo of the body tag to verify the color codes, bucket seats etc.   For that kind of money I'd want that car better than new.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Only 67's have a wreath & crest on the sail panel. Those pics are strange??
Dave, no offense meant. What would YOU want for that car if you were selling it??
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

gkhashem

Does the vinyl roof pattern look correct? Something does look off in the photos. 

It looks like a new vinyl top. Not sure why a 25000 mile car should need one?

How about engine bay. I am not an expert on these but my cars have a gloss black on the wheel inner fenders and the other black painted areas. The black paint looks flat, is this correct?

The engine looks like it has been repainted too.

Plus they rattle canned the under carriage. I would be skeptical of this car.

For such a low mileage car why all the repainting?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

gkhashem

Noticed one more thing.

Look at the photo of the driver's door. The metal in the lower right corner looks beat up. Looks like it was rusty or something.

Plus this is a flipper, guess the new owner is not happy? I would be very careful on this one.

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/1968-cadillac-fleetwood-eldorado-coupe-2/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/391824266685?

1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

D.Smith

Quote from: gkhashem on September 18, 2017, 08:03:41 PM
Noticed one more thing.

Look at the photo of the driver's door. The metal in the lower right corner looks beat up. Looks like it was rusty or something.

Yup.  I noticed that too.   

D.Smith

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on September 18, 2017, 07:45:57 PM

Dave, no offense meant. What would YOU want for that car if you were selling it??
Bob

It is difficult to say considering the low resolution photos and certain angles.    Like any major purchase I tell a potential buyer to go see the car.   Or at minimum have a trusted person go see it and relay info to you.   

Is it a quality repaint?
Is the top done right?
Does the cars condition reflect the 25K mileage?
What still needs to be done?    I see wood veneers that need to be made. Is that rust in the drivers door jamb?    Is the red warning lamp on the drivers door inop due to a bulb or is the wiring in the door connector brittle and broken?  A common problem on these cars.  Fixable but costly.   

As pointed out the seller is a dealer.  So he has no ties to the car or its history.   

I can't say what I would ask for this car if I was selling it.  Because I don't know what its real condition is from just these photos.   

Below is the NADA info on actual sales.   Not asking prices or inflated Hagerty insurance values.     

Bill Young

The bottom of the drivers door looks loaded with bondo and the other door the chrome trim screws were never showing from the factory , This car makes me nervous norvus.

67_Eldo

It has bucket seats, which I wish I had.

The gear indicator is pointing at "L" with the key out of the ignition, which is unusual (but not indicative of any problem).

For that money, you can just about have your pick of '68 Eldorados.

35-709

Beware the freshly undercoated (almost) 50 year old car.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Lots of little things make this car worrisome to me.  At first glance
looks interesting.

I can see lots of new paint (where is the bondo?) in the body, engine
compartment.  The interior was "freshened" but again lots of lemon
pledge or wax was applied to make it look "spiffy".  The drivers side
door is (as others have pointed out) a bondo deluxe job.

Look carefully and you will see that this is NOT a 25,000 mile car.

The engine compartment was painted up and made to look "nice"
as was the chassis and frame.  The vinyl top looks "correct" but
it makes me wonder what's underneath all that new vinyl.

All in all this represents to me a "fluff and buff" job from a seller
who is looking to flip her to a sucker who comes along.

This is, in my humble opinion, one to stay away from unless you
examine it closely and IN PERSON.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Glen

Only the ’67 Eldo had the wreath and crest on the sail panel.  The ’67 did not have side marker lights, that first came out in 1968 MY cars.  In ’68 the wreath and crest was moved from the sail panel to the rear fender with the light shining through it. 
The things I noticed is the ALC compressor is missing.  So what did they do to the rear suspension to compensate?       Looks like multi leaf springs. 
The antenna is not original, looks like a common retractable available at many stereo shops. 
I’m not sure what chrome trim screws Bill is talking about. But if it is the screws at the bottom of the inner door they are correct but not usually that obvious.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Bill Young

To be clear the trim I was referring to is the trim strip that is located on the outside bottom of the doors. It is attached with clips all along until at either end there is a chrome trim screw that attaches from the inside thru a drilled hole and screws into a plastic clip inside the trim piece. This screw is clearly visible when the doors are opened the only other agent present should be heavy drip check seal applied to the welded seam along where the door skin is welded to the door frame with body colored paint over it and then of course the rubber door seal. Also on the upper door frame rear should be a GM insignia on a 1968 Cadillac door. I hope this helps.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I concur 100% with the expressed sentiments regarding this example- especially for the money sought.  In another thread on this forum was another 67/68(?) in an entirely different league which I believe was purchased for roughly half the money.

Based on what can be seen, my guess is this car is a can of worms in search of a new victim.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

GBrown #8092

George: I note your question as to why would a 25k car need a new vinyl roof.  Any number of legit reasons, but mine was rust under the back window due to a rear window leak from the General not sealing the sides of it when it was built.
I have seen several in this area ( midwest) with very low miles with rust under the vinyl roof, as GM didn't paint under them.   GB

Bill Young

There is an old saying in the car business. A little powder and a little paint makes it look like it ain't "

gkhashem

Quote from: GBrown #8092 on September 19, 2017, 06:26:52 PM
George: I note your question as to why would a 25k car need a new vinyl roof.  Any number of legit reasons, but mine was rust under the back window due to a rear window leak from the General not sealing the sides of it when it was built.
I have seen several in this area ( midwest) with very low miles with rust under the vinyl roof, as GM didn't paint under them.   GB

Your right Glen many GM cars had rear window leaks of that era.

I guess, my mistake. I just have figured a 25,000 mile car was somebody's prized possession at one point. Where the car was pampered and not even driven in the rain or bad weather. These kinds of cars are out there, but are getting harder and harder to find. I have found cars with no water stains on the rear window deck or with no fading at all on the deck material or rear seats. Most likely these cars never had a chance to get wet because of some meticulous owner.

Somewhere along the ownership line someone must not have been taking care of it in a pampered manner. You would figure a 25,000 mile car has a chance to be one of those pampered cars. In this case, there seem to be a few red flags that this may not be the case.

A dealer or someone left the car outside for a while and even a few months might be enough for the car to start leaking like the Titanic.

But if you look at my above links this car has been up for sale a few times in the last few months or so, another reason to question what else could be wrong.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

atime

Thanks for all of the replies, it now off my list.
Thanks,
Martin

joeinbcs

I suppose its hard to get a fix on the values on these cars, but my sense from several recent auction sales is that $25K buys a nice, but not perfect car.
Mecum sold a '67 with nice cosmetics and interior, I think around 50K miles, but missing a A/C panel (no way to know what else from the pics) and INOP headlight doors for $20K in Harrisburg:  https://bringatrailer.com/2017/09/06/bat-success-story-1968-cadillac-eldorado-wins-best-in-class/
Lingenfelter paid $25K for a '67 or '68 (I've forgotten which) a month before, and I've seen several other "not perfect" cars in the low to mid-$20's.
I sold my own '70 Eldorado (with documented 23K miles and buckets) for $23K in April.
Five years ago I sold my '67 Eldorado (Black slick top with red leather, 15K original miles) for $25K.
I'm considering selling my '68 now, only because I think I may be able to buy the '67 back from the guy who I sold it to.  I'm sure I'll have to pay considerably more than I got from him five years ago...and I will do so willingly.
So, the price guides that say you can buy the best for $18K are not, in my experience, correct. 
Show me a perfect, or near perfect low mileage '67 or '68 for 25K, and I'll buy it, anytime, anywhere...LOL! 
I love '67 and '68 Eldorado's, and rarely miss one on the market.  Very few really nice cars come up, and  I have never seen a really nice one sell for $18K, at least not in the last 5 or 6 years.
Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.