News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

472 Intake: to seal or not to seal

Started by Greg C, September 21, 2017, 06:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg C

I'm installing a 472 intake  should I install the gasket  dry, copper spray or aviation form a gasket.

Dan LeBlanc

Black RTV on everything otherwise you're setting yourself up for leaks.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

klinebau

what does this mean?

Around all the ports on the block?
Around all the ports on the top of the gasket?

The gasket manufacturer instructions usually call for RTV only in the corners if using the rubber china wall seals.  The service manual only says to use adhesive to keep the gasket from moving.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

TJ Hopland

The metal gasket is embossed around the ports.   I believe the idea is that the embossed part will crush as needed to make the seal.    I have always seen them dry on the metal and rtv on the rubber ends.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Second what TJ has just said.  I have NEVER had an issue on a stock motor using the tin pan and rubber china rail seals with RTV on the ends.  The pan serves the second and very important purpose of keeping hot oil off the bottom of the hot intake manifold and "cooking".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

One sort of unique thing about these engines is there isn't a coolant passage in the intake.   Maybe that is another difference why many other intakes usually need some sort of sealant? 

Another advantage to these engines when it comes to intakes is its rare to have to do any significant machine work to either the block or heads for a stock rebuild.  These were high nickel blocks and heads that historically didn't get used hard so even at this age when you rebuild one you rarely need more than what amounts to a polish to get new sealing surfaces.   Its a different story with your typical Ford or Chev motor that were not as high quality to begin with and often got used hard.  On those they may have been rebuilt several times or had someone trying to get more out of them and removed a lot of material.   Because of the V configuration that starts to change the geometry of how things like the intake fit.  I think those engines is where many of the stories of sealing issues come from.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Make sure it is well sealed. You don't want this to happen:  >:D

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
It looks like the intake was installed without the "tin pan".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillacmike68

Greg,

There's a fist sized hole in the cookie sheet / tin pan. I'll put the whole story up in my May thread later today. That's not oil drops either. It's rust covered with oil.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

I posted the full story on my earlier rod bearing failure thread.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike