News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Under hood lamp

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, September 21, 2017, 07:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I took the chance and hooked up my underhood lamp. I've left it off as it was that way when I got the car, and thought it might have "stayed on" and ran the battery down. Now it will flicker but not keep on. I've used electrical cleaning spray and a screwdriver to push it in and out, but it still won't light up and stay on. Any thoughts?
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Is the reflector screwed tightly to the hood?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

Most common control method for those was a mercury switch so if the bracket was bent it could be on when you don't want it to be.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jon S

Try bending the housing slightly to make it more vertical when the hood is fully open. It should go out closing the hood 1/2 way. Good luck!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Good point. If the bracket is bent downward the angle might not be great enough for the mercury to make contact. If the screws are loose enough, the same thing can also happen which I've seen many times.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute