News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Low speed motor mode stop motor

Started by BigUgly, September 22, 2017, 03:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigUgly

Hi:
I have a 1975 Eldorado convertible the on low speed fan motor squeals I DO NOT WANT TO FIX IT, JUST STOP THE THING PLEASE PLEASE, UNPLUG A FUSE OR WHATEVER! It runs always
Thanks
Tom
99 Concours 77,000 Bought New
75 Eldorado Convert 105,000 Bought 4/15
51 Willys 4x4 Super Hurricane 6 1Ton Pickup
47 Willys CJ2A
49 Olds 2 dr Coupe
98 FLSTC Heritage Classic

gkhashem

I think that is also your heater, AC and defroster blower. In those 1970s car the fan is always on low.

So unless you do not care about heat, AC or defrost you may have no choice but to fix it.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Dave Shepherd

Correct on all points. Big deal, replace the motor!!

bcroe

Quote from: BigUglyHi:
I have a 1975 Eldorado convertible the on low speed fan motor squeals I DO NOT WANT
TO FIX IT, JUST STOP THE THING PLEASE PLEASE, UNPLUG A FUSE OR WHATEVER! It
runs always    Thanks  Tom 

You could just pull the wire off the motor.  I wouldn't buy a new motor though.  That
seemed to happen all the time on my 60s cars. I pulled the motor and drilled a small
hole for adding oil to each bearing; kept it in service for the life of the car.  When a
bearing was out of reach installed, I inserted a tiny metal tube (oil press gauge) in
the hole and brought it to an accessible spot; soldered a larger tube on the end as a
"funnel".  Bruce Roe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Depends on how much trouble you want to go to for $15.00. If you don't need the heat/air conditioning, ventilation and defrost, just un plug the motor at it connection, at the motor.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1976,eldorado,8.2l+500cid+v8,1409385,heat+&+air+conditioning,blower+motor,6916

Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

bcroe

That is quite a powerful motor.  I once bought a replacement, which fit
but didn't move nearly enough air.  The Asian motor did't have the
needed power.  I won't be doing that again.  Bruce Roe

35-709

"I pulled the motor and drilled a small hole for adding oil to each bearing; kept in in service for the life of the car."

Did the same with my '73, only did the rear bearing, used a light oil with PTFE, didn't remove the motor.  The one pictured below is available at Lowes and I imagine any well stocked hardware store, maybe WalMart also.  The squealing came back once but after another treatment went away.  I put a small piece of black electrical tape over the hole to keep out dirt and moisture and it is almost invisible.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2